Having Trouble

unseenat17

hey guys, im a newbie when it comes to car audio so bear with me. I just got 2 sets of speakers for my nissan 240sx, one set is 6x9 and is 350w max, 80w continuous, and the other set is 4x6 120w or somptin max, and 30w continuous. I put bass blockers on all the speakers cuz i plan on gettin a amp and sub out of next paycheck. My deck is a sony explode 52x4w. I hooked the speakers up, and they work and all...but when i turn the music up, they get really distorted. It doesnt even have to be up really loud. My dad said that the speakers i got should not be like that at all...i am kind of dissapointed...did i happen to hook my speakers up wrong, or did i get the wrong wattage of speakers or what?!?! like i said, i dont know much about car audio and i would really appreciate if someone could give me ideas as to what could be wrong...thx in advanced

most decks have that problem. if you go and look for an amp that does ~30w 2 chanel and a 60w 2 chanel and hook those to the fronts\rears the distortion should go away.

cd players are really meant to play cds, not be amplifiers. they generally dont like doing it, but they have to in 99% of cars =P

you can get a 30w 2 ch amp on ebay for like $30 and a 60w shouldnt be much more. easy 8guage wire install. if you are gonna get a sub\amp, get some 2 or 1\0 guage wire (http://www.knukonceptz.com) to go from the battery to your trunk a 1\0->4 or 8 guage distrobution block WITH fuses, and split that to both amps. then when you get your sub, you can leech a 4 guage wire off the 0 guage wire you have, and make a quick sub install.

easy as pie.

others should help a little more, im a newb too, but thats what i would guess.

...and the other set is 4x6 120w or somptin max, and 30w continuous... ...My deck is a sony explode 52x4w.
possibly overpowering the speakers. what model? also, what kind of bass blockers? FMod's for door speakers..?

the blockers are install edge's, but i doubt overpowering since my 6x9s are 350 watt max and my deck is only pumping out bout 30w max...any other ideas?

Most decks put out 22-25 watts per channel, no matter what the front panel says. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif He's not overpowering them. Its like req said, a crappy amplifier in the deck, just like pretty much all decks.

Look at what a 25watt x 4 external amplifier looks like. Look at a cd player that has a 24w x 4 amp in it. The external amp is probably bigger than the cd player, that also houses its 25x4 amp. The amp in a cd player can't dissipate the heat well enough, not having the big heatsink external amps do, and produces more distortion.

I have a kenwood deck, and i can turn it up all the way and have clear sound, but thats when i have my hpf set at like 125...... if your getting a sub, make sure ur speakers arent getting low frequencies.....

Lamens Terms the Head unit your using is underpowering the speakers(they need more power) the solution is to buy a external 4 channel amp(like your going to for your sub except 2ch or mono) and run the 4 channel amp to the speakers.

now since you have two sets of speakers with very different power ratings you may need to get two (2 channel) amps. one that has 160 watts RMS X 2 and one amp thats about ~30-40 Watts RMS X 2

Install: the best way to install all these amps is to run a very "Thick"(1/0 gauge) wire to the trunk and install a "distribution" block (the big wire connects to it and has 3 outputs for slightly smaller smaller wire for 3 amps). now that way you only have to run one wire from your battery to the trunk and you have enough power for all the amps your going to need. 1 for the sub and 2 for the two sets of speakers.

let me know if this helps.

P.S. Also if you have the Positive and negative switched the bass will sound like crap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.