Having trouble with subs. Keep blowing?alpine type rs good?

Participant count
  • Participant list

quamen
10+ year member

nj
Well my first subs were 2 10" idq dvc. I blew them after one year. THey were powered by a 500 watt jl audio sub. Next i got some jl w6s blew the one quick. When the one hits it makes this weird noise like a crunch or something. I keep having them hooked up y a local shop that does some serious installs, so i doubt ther not doing it right. I want to get some alpine type rs they any good? the problem i have is that the boxes i have are extremely small and can only really fir subs that are aabout 6" to 6 1/2" in lenght ther just about .50 per box. take a look here. ther the old subs,right now i have 2 w6s in there and they also seem to pop easy if u know what i mean. check the gallary for the pic of how my setup is

It definatly sounds like you're putting subs that need a much larger box into boxes that are way too small. Also i agree, the problem may be an air leak. I have a jl12w6v2. I put in a tiny box just to hear it, and it sounded horrible i would bet anything that if i would've keep it in there, it would have blown. If you can't increase the box size, try going with a smaller sub. like the old solo-baric circles.

It may not necessarily be the gain, if the shop is setting your gains correctly, you may be turning your volume up to high. A lot of people do it, but if you listen carefully, you can tell when your driving your sub past it's limits. I doubt air leaks would cause a sub to blow under normal circumstances, usually it is the user, you should not turn your volume past 3/4 anyhow.

well they have my setup differnt.they set my headunit so i can max it out, so i dont blow the speakers and have the gain set so no mattter what volume i have the tweeters and mids at they wont blow and they never did. on the headunit it goes to 15 for the volume of sub woofer adn i never had it set pass 7 with the jls and they blew powering 2 10" w6 with 500 watt jl audio amp

Originally posted by quamen well they have my setup differnt.they set my headunit so i can max it out, so i dont blow the speakers and have the gain set so no mattter what volume i have the tweeters and mids at they wont blow and they never did. on the headunit it goes to 15 for the volume of sub woofer adn i never had it set pass 7 with the jls and they blew powering 2 10" w6 with 500 watt jl audio amp
I don't think you should ever max out your volume your most likely going to send your amp into clipping, maybe I'm wrong. But here's how your gain should be set. Turn gain all the way down, turn volume up to 3/4 or about as loud as it is comfortable for you to listen, then turn the gain up, until the subs start to distort, once there, turn the gain back slightly, whereever you set your volume should be the highest you should go.

yeah but i have 2 volume controls one for the sub and the other for the rest. I mean it goes to 35 and that empowers everythign and then the knob on my alpine hu for the subs that go to 15. so do i max out or 3/4 of that level for both the mids/high and then the subs? i have 2 amps one for subs one for mids and other crap

rich

this place puts in some thousand of dollar systems i saw the installs before and pics. And they cant even set my settings right? if i click on the knob and set the subs to 0 there will be no bass really at all. i have to put it up to about 7 out of 15. i have the mb quart q series components one of the best and i know they can get loud which they do , but when i turn my volume up high. it goes to 35. also i dont even know what the gain is for the jl amp. ill read the manual. i know it doesnt say gain on it cause i looked.

I saved up a **** load of money to have someone do the system so i would have a warrentee. I searched many places, these guys gave me good deals, and i saw there work, but they cant properly set my settings? Im going back there after the holidays to settle it cause i shouldnt have to do this **** myself cause they say i can void warrenty? They set it so i dont blow anything, but i blew the w6 subs and i have to put the volume up high to get it loud. I guess this is a safe way cause i know i wont blow the mids and highs, but your talking about clipping? i dont even know what that is.

you can check the gallary for the system setup. those idqs are shot, also the jls to. those adire subs looks sick, for some sick cash/.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.