having amp issues

Participant count
  • Participant list
i have two twelves rigged up to my home theater system, using a 875 watt peak power amp, hooked up to the positive and negative connections on a xbox 360 power supply. the positive and the remote are bridged, and i know i have everything wired right, as iv been using this setup for quite a while, and it sounds great. recently, it started acting really weird, everything will come on for a while, works for about five minutes then it starts turning on and off slowly then faster until its rapidly clicking then turns off completely, all the power lights still on. Turn it off for a while and it does it again. Also, the short\low ohm light on the amp is just faintly glowing red, but iv replaced all wires except the power supply, which is my next step. Was just wondering if anyone knew what was going on here, seems like if I blew something up, nothing would work at all. Thanks in advance, sorry im pretty new to this, I just used an instructible to rig this thing up and I love having it so much, hate that’s its just sitting there.

The power supply is 135 or 200 watts from what I read online, which really isn't enough to push the amplifier. Not judging or anything, I've done it before too! If you get a beefier 3 to 10 amp 12v project power supply, it'll handle it ok for what you are doing. Radioshack was my source before they tanked, but I bet Amazon or Parts Express would have one. I think you blew something in the PS: it doesn't have to be totally blown and some power can still be present.

i know something has to be replaced, just not sure what. speakers are fine, took amp apart to search for shorts or any signs of a blown circuit, negative, but i went ahead and took the power supply off my other xbox and hooked it up to see if there was any difference, same problems. moneys tight around these parts, if im gonna replace part of it id like to make sure its done right and as cost efficient as possible. any advice would help alot. if i should upgrade from the xbox power supply, what should i go with?? does it sound like the problem is in the amp itself? thanks in advance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.