Having a hard time getting my 15's to sound good

I'm not a super noob, but when it comes to sound quality, I'm a noob. I want my stuff to sound good, but I truthfully haven't sat down and researched frequency ranges and how to build proper enclosures and such..... Anyways...

I have an 01 Yukon XL with the 3rd row out. My head unit is an old school Kenwood KVT-617. It's OLD. Lol. But I've had it in numerous cars that I've owned, and it still kicks it. I may upgrade to a full on double din at some point if I keep the Yukon, but the single din has been very versatile for me since I got it back in.... Oh man had to be 2010 lmao.

I found some American Bass SQ 6.5's in the front doors, not sure if the tweeters above them are aftermarket or stock. Rear doors, not sure what brand they are, but they are some white coned 2 way 6.5's. Haven't pulled the rear panels to check.

No amp for the 6.5's. Should I invest in one at some point? I haven't done a full out system in years....

There were 4 12's in it when I got it (auction buy), they are Soundstream SPL 12's, look real old too. I didn't even hook them up to see if they worked. I yanked em lol. But they were in a sealed box.

Currently, I have 2 American Bass XD 15's in a ported box run by an RE XT4000DE-V2 amp. Subs are wired to 1ohm (neg to neg to neg to neg to amp, pos to pos to pos to pos to amp). It's an old setup that I bought years and years ago. I got the XD's directly from Bob. I haven't used them in a long time. But I swear, in everything else I've had, they've sounded incredible. But in this yukon... It's almost like they frickin echo on the higher notes. Lows are no problem, but the louder I turn it up the higer notes get real.... Buzzy? I think that's the right way I want to word that. They buzz like a mofo. I've had them in 2 different ported enclosures in this truck, and they both buzz. First one was a smaller single port box (both subs share the same air space), the second one is a bit bigger. Dual port and each sub has its own air space. I listen to 90% metal (As I Lay Dying, Whitechapel and Lamb of God are my 3 favorites for reference), 9% rock, and 1% stuff like Hollywood Undead. So the lows sometimes get REALLY low, and sometimes pull up pretty high. I don't know. Maybe I'm just retarded and forgot how to set the amp?? The gain is 3/4 (I think I read somewhere back years ago that you never turn the gain all the way up right?), sub sonic is set at the lowest setting, which I think is 10hz, I don't know anything about subsonic. I played around with it a bit and it seemed best down low. The LPF is somewhere in the 60-80 range. Bass boost is up all the way up and controlled by a knob mounted on the side of the center console.

I've always listened to metal. And these things used to kick ***. I'm not one of those people who feel a 15 is too big to move fast. I never had an issue with them in the past. But I'm considering trying some old P3 12's I have sitting in a sealed q logic box.

Any recommendations will be considered. Wiring was already in the truck. May need to go back through and redo some of it. If I need to upgrade my stuff I will too. Sorry for the novel, trying to be as descriptive as I can. Thanks!

Gain is set too high, bass boost should be turned completely off....as that will clip your subs and destroy them quickly. What's the enclosure tuned to?

You may be experiencing diff sound because it's a lot bigger vehicle than what you had them in in other vehicles.

The remote gain knob isn't a bass boost if that's what you mean, but indeed you may have the gain set too high.

Knowing specs of the box might help. Also if you liked the sound of the box in the past you might be able to reposition the box in your truck and improve the sound.

That and if you think the problem is the speakers themselves take them out of the box and play them on lower power and look closely for any glue joints failing spiders ripping or similar.

Those trucks have a huge roof that can rattle a lot. I would recommend you sound dampen it no matter what you run also do your front doors.

Wow first off, thanks for not flaming the new guy here! I appreciate it lol

Second off you guys were dead on the money. I got the function of the bass knob messed up. I had wondered why the bass boost was all the way off on the amp when I first hooked the knob up. I forgot it was for the gain!

I went ahead and turned the bass boost off, I looked up what sub sonic is and I set it about halfway since I don't know what the box is tuned to (I got it off Craigslist years and years ago), and I turned the gain back down to about half. And WOW. It's back! I don't turn my head unit all the way up as it is, I think it goes to 36 but I stop at about 32, but I could turn it all the way up to 32 and no distortion. You guys were right, gain was too high and it was clipping. I had to look it up to see what the hell it even was lol, but that's the sound it was making. I was half tempted to abandon the 15's all together when it was my own mistake that caused the issue!

I may bump the gain up a tad, to see where it distorts and back it off. Honestly this is the biggest vehicle I've had them in. They've been in a 99 grand am (small box), 99 camaro (big box, no back seat), 05 explorer (big box) and 93 grand cherokee (small box). They pounded hard in all of them, but like you guys mentioned, they're a lot smaller than this is LOL. That being said.... I think I need a more powerful setup because it's just not loud enough in this thing hahaha. Thanks guys!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.