Haulin' Thumper

Well I found the sound deadener showdown thread. Wish I had read it before as it would have saved me the wasted effort and money on covering all the metal with the raamat. So I'm going to put down the closed cell foam I have and then cover that with the Mass Loaded Vinyl which should do the trick.

Well I found the sound deadener showdown thread. Wish I had read it before as it would have saved me the wasted effort and money on covering all the metal with the raamat. So I'm going to put down the closed cell foam I have and then cover that with the Mass Loaded Vinyl which should do the trick.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Two layers of ensolite on the floor. This stuff makes a big difference in keeping the road noise to a minimum. I noticed a huge difference between having 1 layer and having two. I am tempted to do a third while I wait on the Mass Loaded Vinyl.

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Also did some work on the rear doors since I carry lots of friends who would probably like to hear the tunes as well.

Picture061.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Previously I put down two layers of raamat to the outer door skin and 1 layer to the inner door skin.

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

And I started covering over the large holes with perforated aluminum.

Picture006.jpg

Then covered the perforated aluminum on both side with raamat.

Picture007.jpg

Don't really want the subs blowing into one side of my ears. I bought the door molds and glassed them in. The wheels are KMC Slide 22X9.5. I love them.

Well I added a layer of MLV and put on the new carpet. The added thickness made it a real pain trying to get the seats back in. Also got to work on the front door panels. I had extra scraps of butyl so thought I'd put them to use before I cover the panel with ensolite.

Picture074.jpg

Also added the speaker pods to the panel. I bought the molds and added a mdf ring and glassed it in to strengthen it up a bit for the hertz midbass.

Picture075.jpg

Honestly I have no idea as I have not heard them in the truck yet. Lots of mixed opinions on them I know. I heard them at one of the local mobile audio stores and I thought they had the most potential with what that shop had but I don't think they had any high end stuff. They are definitely better with power going to them. Lots of people complain about the tweeter being too harsh but that is at least to some degree tunable and if you don't like it with tuning is easy enough to replace it with something that sounds nicer to you. People also complain about the midbass not putting out but it is a 6.5 and that size of speaker doesn't lend itself very well to midbass. Are there better speakers that put out more midbass, sure, that will always be the case no matter what speaker you have.

Here's what I have learned when it comes to mobile audio. It is very subjective. What sounds bad to one person may sound really nice to another and vice versa. People also seem to jump on the bandwagon with whatever is hot or cheap or whatever. Ignore the brand name, the RMS, and whatever else. Get what sounds good to you because ultimately it will be you in the vehicle not whoever's opinion on the internet. I'm also learning that the install is the most important when it comes to something sounding good. A set of very cheap drivers can sound really nice to me in a proper install. I also had an oportunity to listen to some hybrids that sounded like crap to me and he spent a TON of money on the speakers.

The biggest problem I have had is that most shops don't have a lot to listen to with power. What they do have is in a crappy enclosure and really gives me no idea with the potential the drivers have. Most are in a large room which will sound totally different than in your car. It is frustrating.

So anyway I went with the infinity cappa perfects because at the time they were the best I heard. I have since heard a couple hertz components so I am going with those for the front stage as they will be the dominent speakers heard. The rear will be faded down so I don't think I will have the problems with them that people associate since they won't be playing loud. Hope that helps. I will say that the three way hertz I have coming are very nice and I enjoyed listening to them very much. There's always a better set to be made or had but I am just getting into this. My next build will be a diy active set but I'll save that for a different project. We all gotta start somewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

teenycar

10+ year member
teenycar
Redlands, Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from