has anyone worked on a 95 Jaguar?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mikegett
10+ year member

My mother in law has a 95 Jaguar XJS v12. She likes the Eclipse AVN7000, and would like to place a navigaiton unit in the car. I know that it has a Harmond Kardon amp, to power the speakers and subwoofers. What I haven't been able to find is any information on the HU. At eleven years old, I doubt that it had a dsp function on the amp or digital inputs. I removed the cover and couldn't find any crossovers in the amp. I am assuming that either the HU or the speakers contain the crossovers. Does anyone have any experience in working on the H.K. systems for Jaguar? Our plans were to only replace the HU and use the existing amp and speakers. So please, no replies with "just ditch the amp and buy a new one". Thanks, for any help. Mike G.

I nearly forgot. Some of the older audio systems used a different style of ground. Placing a new HU in to the older system without wiring around the ground would result in blowing the HU. Some of the older Eclipse aftermarkets incorporated this. I can ohm the hu connections easily to find this out. But would sending a high level speaker wire into a amp that utilized this harm anything? Thanks.

No, a common ground just consits of all speaker wires sharing the same ground point. It won't damage your HU, but you will have to rewire the speakers to get them to work. I am refering to the old positive ground systems. Cars today use a negative ground. Alot of the older foreign systems were reversed and require a rewire of the radio or a polarity invertor. I realy don't remember a whole lot about them. I only had to deal with it once about ten years ago. I do know that the Jags were built with positive and negative ground systems deepending on the year and location produced. I believe due to the ford merger in 95. I will be able to check the HU easily when removing the deck. What I don't know is if the polarity issue will affect the speaker level going to the amp. I wouldn't think so, concidering that AC can be reversed with no problem.

This is NOT a positive ground system and I do know that the crossovers are passive and happen AFTER the factory amp, but unfortunatly what I do not know is if you can just run input into the amp off the speaker leads on the deck. You might have to make a set of RCA adapters to use the RCA outputs on the deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mikegett

10+ year member
mikegett
Connersville, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from