has anyone used Planet Audio Apocalypse AP500.2

All, I have found one of these amps and it will be here Friday or Saturday. If anyone is interested in how it performs, I will post what I can. I do 'm of have a bench test or the proper tools to clamp test. I will be going by ear. I am very excited to mess with it. This is a 2 channel 1 ohm stable amp. 2x1000@1ohm 1x2000@2ohms. If anybody has any other thoughts or information on it, feel free to comment. If it is negative comments, please keep them to yourself. Old planet audio amps are very good quality, and also have very decent sound quality.

Got the amp in the mail yesterday, definitely a lot bigger and heavier than anticipated. It is the heaviest amp I have owned, I don't know how much it ways due to the lack of owning a scale, but the post office did let me know it was more than 27 lbs. So my planet audio big bang Quadra and zetar are no longer my big beefers @ 25 lbs. The amp hasn't been hooked up for a few years, so I have it hooked up with power running through it to get things ready for action. I have attached a link for the gut shot, and heatsink. Hopefully later today I will get some subs hooked up and see what kind of magic comes from it.

http://cdn2.caraudio.com/gallery/1/0/4/0/5/5/7/imag1325.jpg

http://cdn2.caraudio.com/gallery/1/0/4/0/5/5/7/imag1327.jpg

Yeah, I am finding out how much power the old A and A/B amp need. I am experiencing major voltage drop. I have the big 3 done, a second battery and 0 gauge running to the second battery. I am running an old school (2001) Orion hcca 12" dual 2 ohm and a tc sounds OEM 12" dual 2 ohm from the same era in a big ported box. Both subs wired @1ohm, this gets 1000rms each. It does sounds really good, but I don't have enough amperage to keep the amp going on hard hits. I need to upgrade front battery and alternator in order to really make some magic happen.

After a couple months of using the amp and learning how to dial in the sound using the freq, gain and bandwidth. I am very satisfied with this amp. Currently on a jl12w7, it makes the magic happen. @3ohms I am running 1500watts rms to the ultimate, and it really seems like it will just keep getting louder without distortion. I really wish I had a sub that was a dual 4ohm and could handle the 2000watts rms. Currently I am trying to get the time and meters to clamp it so I can see roughly where I am sitting on wattage.

That is true. Up until about 2007-2008, their amps were pretty good, and sometimes underrated. I don't know much about the subwoofers, I did have a Big Bang subwoofer from early 2000's that did really well. I try to find there old amplifiers from 1999-2003ish. that is when they were really good amplifiers and nobody really knew about them.

Yeah, it is interesting how companies build a name for quality, then they sell to a low quality or start to produce a low quality. But it is pretty funny when I tell people I run planet audio amps. I get some pretty funny responses. Either they don't know the old and are good or because I don't fit the profile they think they are new planet audio amps. Currently I am running a big bang Quadra for sound and apocalypse AP500.2 on an older RE SX 12" dual 4 ohm. So I am getting all 2000 rms from the AP500.2. BOOYAH.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.