H/u headaches

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rothy

CarAudio.com Newbie
New guy here. I came across your forum searching for a solution to one of my systems problems. After digging and not finding my answer (but finding questions regarding the opposite of mine) I thought I'd join and see if I can get some help. One of my problems currently is that my head unit powers on/off with the headlights. It will turn on/off with no keys on if you turn headlight switch; if the key is in acc or on the headunit turns on and stays on regardless of headlight switch position. My Amp also has constant power (gw-124 w/ rzr1-2500d). I tapped the remote into the larger gage orange power wire in the factory harness like I did my old car. The new truck has an orange wire on #1 pin (top left) and a thicker orange wire in the pin directly beneath it. I tapped both after discovering my problem and both have constant power... So I'm confused now. Is this expected? Where can I run remote wire at least to power on with accessory in the harness?
2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71 with Bose premium sound and navigation. Truck has factory sub and Amp. Headunit is jvc kw-v350bt. The PO had a scoche(?) factory adapter/interface in it for his Pioneer headunit, that was a nightmare. I am still rewiring the catastrophe he had to make everything work properly and so far my only issues remaining are this and no steering wheel controls, and the fact that it seems the truck changes volume/EQ/settings on its own. The latter has me lost; I am leaning towards the factory Amp but that's what the adapter was for??

One other question that may help diagnose this: under the dash my factory radio harness has a Gray female connector, a green male connector, and a Gray male connector. This is all "factory" if I plug my unit into the gray female and everything else is disconnected it powers on and everything works. No change in any other areas of vehicle; green female only: nothing. Green female- gray male, gray female to adapter unit powers on and no difference minus radio interference. But this looks factory and it goes into the factory harness, and was all plugged in this way when I purchased the truck. Is this factory?? To me, it sounds like a ground loop, but then why the hell is it there, what is the purpose? Finding info/ schematics and help on GM wiring is impossible for me I am lost. I will get pictures today if that helps anyone.
Sorry for long post, giving as much information as possible and hoping for answers

Last edited:
1016201259a_HDR.jpg
1016201259b_HDR.jpg
1016201259c_HDR.jpg
1016201300_HDR.jpg
1016201300a_HDR.jpg
1016201301_HDR.jpg
1016201301a_HDR.jpg
1016201301b_HDR.jpg
1016201259_HDR~2.jpg
1016201259_HDR~3.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Rothy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Rothy
Reading PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from