H/O alt for Civic

Participant count
  • Participant list
Don't waste your money bud, the 8th civic has a sophisticated ELD (electronic load detection) circuit and will shut the alt off if it THINKS it has enough power to run all of the electronics. It is built into the ECU for all American models, so your options are either...1. try and be super efficient with the big 3 and replacing the battery with a good one. 2.) Bypass the ELD, I wouldnt attempt this without an in depth understanding of digital circuitry and 12v technologies. OR 3.) replace the ECU with a JDM ECU import for around 700-1000 dollars. Sorry for the bad new my friend I understand your situation all to well

I'm well aware of the ELD issue. It's super easy to bypass the ELD, either by unplugging it (yes I know people that run it this way) or with a resistor.

Checked with Knu, they don't carry them. Anyone have more suggestions on companies that make them for a good price? Also, are there any downsides to getting the stock respun?

U gotta get it custom built. Mechman, singer, or ohio generator will make for about $500. But it can only be so big so its not really worth it imo. I have an 02 civic and due to the tight space the alt is in it can't be that large of an HO alt. Dunno if they changed the engine bay but I doubt its that different from mine.

I might be iffy too if their feedback wasn't so good and it didn't come with a warranty. I'll shop around, maybe get a quote on a respin, just don't want to drop $400 on this thing especially since I'll just have a modest system.

I might be iffy too if their feedback wasn't so good and it didn't come with a warranty. I'll shop around, maybe get a quote on a respin, just don't want to drop $400 on this thing especially since I'll just have a modest system.
you wont find a respin that'll work as a H/O alt. there are more things to consider in the alternator that has to be replaced.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MANTI5

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
MANTI5
Southern AZ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date