Ground loop question?

Participant count
  • Participant list

lilpride
10+ year member

Ok so doing a camaro the Battery was in the back already. So when grounding them amp I directly grounded it to the battery figuring this is the best ground. I get a bad whining noise through the speakers. I know I need to reroute my rca jacks because they are right next to the power right now. but could the ground on the battery cause this? FYI I am using a line out converter. how could I test a differnt ground for that?

I don't know the technical details but even though it "should" work, every time I have seen it done on a highs amp the car had noise that went away when grounded elsewhere. Seems like you can get away with it on a sub amp though but I never do it.

Its a 5 channel polk audio amp. So you do hear it more on highs. I will try moving the rca jacks away from power line first. Then Ill start checking the grounds.

Just move the ground wire off the battery and come thank me when the noise is gone.
no, the best ground is straight to the battery. everything comes back to that post anyway, but when you run a direct line there is less chance for interference or voltage drop.

my guess would be you're getting noise from the LOC, less likely would be the RCAs running near the power. I would still move them, but I've seen tons of best buy installs that ran right next to power wire with little to no issue. I think it's something more significant than that.

no, the best ground is straight to the battery. everything comes back to that post anyway, but when you run a direct line there is less chance for interference or voltage drop.
my guess would be you're getting noise from the LOC, less likely would be the RCAs running near the power. I would still move them, but I've seen tons of best buy installs that ran right next to power wire with little to no issue. I think it's something more significant than that.
Good shielding means no noise, but yes the first two places noise show up are a bad LOC/converter box and RCAs in parallel/contact to a power source.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.