ground idea

Participant count
  • Participant list

taintedplay
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
dallas
ok, i have a bolt going through my cargo area for ground. but, its a hard ass spot to get from the bottom if i want to change it. can i bolt it in with a nut like normal, then have the ring terminals, then anohter nut? so i leave the bottom nut in always and just move the top nut. would that give it enough surface area?

oh, and i read it somewhere but forgot where, how do i test if its a good ground with a dmm?
Get a good meter and set it to ohms. Touch both leads together and note the resistance (should be 0 or near 0). Then touch one lead to your batt - and the other lead to your ground spot. The reading should be near 0 ohms if it is a good ground.

You could always just make a new ground. Just grind off some paint and use one of these self-tapping screws. Just be careful of your gas tank.

319Xkl0EQhL._AA280_.jpg

Set your meter to volts. Touch one lead of the meter to the ring terminal and the other to a metal spot a few millimeters from the bolt. Crank your system up high and see if you read any voltage. Any voltage means you're getting a voltage drop across that spot. There is always going to be *some* voltage drop. As long as it's on the order of hundreths of a volt, I wouldn't worry.

This will only work under high load.

Get a good meter and set it to ohms. Touch both leads together and note the resistance (should be 0 or near 0). Then touch one lead to your batt - and the other lead to your ground spot. The reading should be near 0 ohms if it is a good ground.
This method wouldn't work. If you have a poor connection somewhere, you'll still read near 0 ohms even if only the very edge of your terminal is making a connection. Once you put that small area of connection under load, then your problems will appear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.