Ground got pulled out, now can't go over 18 volume (amp cuts out)

Is there anything I could do other than buy a big 3 kit or bigger battery to get it back to not turning off until I can afford the upgrade(s)? And Im honestly not 100% sure on the thickness of the wires im currently using. Yes, the ground is on bare frame metal.
Judging by the power you're running you might be able to get away with a big 3...for now at least. Did you get an amp kit? I'm really curious at what this wire thickness is. Also, if you mean the XS Power BIG3XP big 3 kit...(the $50 one) That should suit you well also. Everything is pre-crimped and everything so all you need is a socket wrench.

Also PLEASE check the gain setting on your amplifier. What is the MAX volume on your headunit

hmm... So even with no music playing, the cap still showed 12.4 or so, or it drops to 12.4? im curious to how your voltage is with out any bass
Driver door open, keys are not in ignition
photo1_zpsc6e1b398.jpg

Keys in, power on - motor still off
photo2_zps5abdedac.jpg

Car fully on
photo3_zps036d10d3.jpg

Music at volume 15
photo5_zps2fc48b18.jpg

With drops at 18 vol. went as low as 14.2

And a side issue, when car is in park/idle, system gives off a horrible feedback that causes almost instant headaches for most people who drive with me. But as soon as I touch the gas it'll be gone. No idea on this, help me if you can! Thanks.

Any idea to why its not able to keep up now? Still pretty new to car audio so im pretty much lost here.
Anyone going to address this? I think the op has had a ground problem even before it was pulled out.

Also OP, how about securing your box? Doesn't that seem like a smart idea?

Judging by the power you're running you might be able to get away with a big 3...for now at least. Did you get an amp kit? I'm really curious at what this wire thickness is. Also, if you mean the XS Power BIG3XP big 3 kit...(the $50 one) That should suit you well also. Everything is pre-crimped and everything so all you need is a socket wrench.
Also PLEASE check the gain setting on your amplifier. What is the MAX volume on your headunit
If it helps you figure out the thickness, its all from a Walmart kit. (wiring and cap, I know, im cheap) Gain is maybe around 65% up on the amp, but def not over 75%. Max volume i believe on my headunit is 40? I want to say 40 is the max. I have yet taken the volume past 21 on any song with actual bass and drops, too afraid of blowing my subs or car speakers.

Anyone going to address this? I think the op has had a ground problem even before it was pulled out.
Also OP, how about securing your box? Doesn't that seem like a smart idea?
Everyone I have asked in person has said 'oh its just your ground' but when they see how it is, they get confused. Its on a clean metal, its been a mystery for a couple of us. And I need to find a way to properly secure it. The bottom of my trunk is a cover, so it would only be going into cloth with no real anchor, same with the sides.

I dont mean to offend but ur amp is crap, and amp+cap= still crap. Also, Should never run different size power/ground cables either. Remember with electrical ur system will only be strong as ur weakest link will allow it to be. Looks as if u have 8ga grounds, if this is cca wire its only good for 300-400rms before it will become problematic. Id bet u have cooked ur wire/wires at some point(over time), check at fuse blocks for heat damage.

Should never run different size power/ground cables either. Remember with electrical ur system will only be strong as ur weakest link will allow it to be. Looks as if u have 8ga grounds, if this is cca wire its only good for 300-400rms before it will become problematic. Id bet u have cooked ur wire/wires at some point(over time), check at fuse blocks for heat damage.
No offense taken, for $100 for the amp I was okay with that. It works with my subs so it makes me happy enough. Ill def look to see if there is any damage to the fuse area tomorrow to make sure. And I guess Ill be investing in some thicker ground wire soon.

Driver door open, keys are not in ignition
photo1_zpsc6e1b398.jpg

Keys in, power on - motor still off
photo2_zps5abdedac.jpg

Car fully on
photo3_zps036d10d3.jpg

Music at volume 15
photo5_zps2fc48b18.jpg

With drops at 18 vol. went as low as 14.2

.... why did the voltage up? you said before you were dropping to 11.4, 12v etc?

Bc I am an idiot at heart. I never had turned the car on when saying its idle voltage...I wasnt sure if 2.5volts was a huge difference so i just settled with the motor off numbers. Sorry bout that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.