Greetings from new user and request of advice to upgrade stock system Lexus RC300h

Participant count
  • Participant list

mattlocked

Madrid
Hi foks,

First post here, just joined and I look forward to learning about Car Audio from all of you, seasoned mobile audiophiles //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I recently took delivery of a 2016 Lexus RC300h and I'm underwhelmed by the quality (or lack thereof) of the stock audio system. I know I should have gone for the Mark Levinson setup but the unit I was offered was readily available and I did not feel like waiting 4 months to receive a tailor-made unit

I want a decent good sounding setup (mid-range price) that does not require to take the car apart (or at least as little disassembly as possible) , any suggestions or links to threads with similar setups you may be aware of? I saw some installs on Lexus IS but they all exceed my scope and budget and are a bit overkill for what I need: I want a nice amplifier, decent speakers and SW while preserving the origininal Head Unit and steering wheel controls...

Thank you in advance for your advice and insight and for your patience if I ask obvious things, I'm quite unfamiliar with aftermarket upgrades and this will be my first foray into custom car audio installations.

Matt.

Sadly it's not that simple to retain the stock HU and be worthwhile. The stock HU has a volume dependent equalizer built in and it's tuned to match what's in there from the factory. Your best bet is amplifying the stock speakers just a bit. Add filter caps on the stock speakers to keep them from playing bass and add a small sub.

You will need a LOC like the audiocontrol LC-6 or 7 that restores the bass the stock EQ cuts out to protect the speakers.

How many speakers does the car have?

Thank you so much for your reply and the information. I didn't think it would be that difficult. I would like something simple and not too fancy, kind of like this one: Subwoofer Install DIY on Factory non-ML Amp. 2016 IS200t -- too easy. - Club Lexus Forums but I would consider also swapping the speakers for something of more quality. Do you find this approach to be incompatible with keeping the Stock Head Unit? .

Thanks for your ideas.

What is your budget? You can easily get a huge improvement in sound and keep the factory HU. Most cars these days you pretty much have no choice but to keep the factory HU, it has not prevented people from getting a good quality system.

Hi, I would not want to spend more than maybe 1.500USD (or 1.300€ where I live). I guess that would buy me a noticeable improvement. Any suggestions on Speakers, SW?... The less disassembly required the better....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.