Good router bits?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
I'm really only interested in a straight cut, flush trim, 3/4" roundover and possibly a 3/8" roundover bit for a router. What brand should I go with that won't kill me on pricing? I see pricing of nearly $40 on just a single bit which seems crazy...

most of the bits that are $40 a pop last a good while. example I bought a $10 spiral bit, changed it twice in 1 year. bought the $25 (shipping included in price) spiral bit and 2 years later still cuts like day one. if I would have just started with the $25 bit. i'll just tell you from my experience as I haven't used every brand bit. I started with a Ryobi fixed router and Craftsman plunge router. I started with Harbor Freight bits and they cut well out the box but after a bunch of passes i could tell the cuts were not from a sharp blade. first was a $20 (eBay) Bosch flush trim bit, it's been cutting like day 1 for over a year. I have a Ryobi roundover set that still cuts like day one and i've had it for over 3 years. I have a larger 3/4" roundover bit from Frued and same as the Ryobi roundover bits lasting over 3 years. I have a Milwaukee Rabbeting bit set that I got on eBay for $30 shipped and it's been good to me for the near 2 years I've had it. personally i say don't go cheap but also don't go for the most expensive. After the Harbor Freight experiment I've bought brands that I know and it hasn't gone wrong since.

$40 for a bit isn't that expensive they usually last longer and stay sharper. I've made about 5-8 boxes in the last year with the same bit and it's still great, I've put it through hell where as if I used regular bits they break on every box I make lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.