Good Mids?

The gain is set wrong. Thats why you are distorting so fast. Thats a clean deck so you should be able to run it all the way up
Could you clarify? What would be right?

And I originally got this amp because I was distorting around half volume. I'm not asking much of it

Could you clarify? What would be right?And I originally got this amp because I was distorting around half volume. I'm not asking much of it
Gain is meant to match the pre out of your head unit. Head unit raises preout as the volume goes up. Full volume should be full preout voltage. So you should match your amps gain to that. Gain is not a 'power knob'. Full gain does not mean full power, full power with 4v preouts could be as low as 1/4 turn. I think you have yours up to high and the amp is maxing out to early. The amp is overdriven causing distortion

I don't know how the MX setting works on that head unit, but I always left that off when I was running Alpine head units. This is part of the reason it's distorting so fast. On the amp, make sure the Low/High switch is set to High. Low is for the RCA inputs.

Just ditched the wires and bought/hooked up some RCA's - sounds much better now, believe I just need some better speakers now!

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Also, regarding the MX settings: the only way I can get this HU to sound as good as my stock (even with para EQ tweaking) is to use the MX... :S But I'd definitely like to go without

Hmm... Reading about the Infinitys, and they have this "True 4 Ohm Technology" deal, which kind of blows away the notion of 2 ohms. But it was mentioned that it wouldn't really make much of a difference, right?

Also, I can get a pair of 9632cf References for $60 right now, vs the 692.9i Kappas for $100 - is it worth the extra $40 for the Kappas...?

Or would it be better to get a pair of JBL GTO938s? (The 2-way GTO928s have strangely worse reviews)

Opinions appreciated

Thanks again fam

Hmm... Reading about the Infinitys, and they have this "True 4 Ohm Technology" deal, which kind of blows away the notion of 2 ohms. But it was mentioned that it wouldn't really make much of a difference, right?
Also, I can get a pair of 9632cf References for $60 right now, vs the 692.9i Kappas for $100 - is it worth the extra $40 for the Kappas...?

Or would it be better to get a pair of JBL GTO938s? (The 2-way GTO928s have strangely worse reviews)

Opinions appreciated

Thanks again fam
Sounds like a gimmick

Sure does. But gimmick or no gimmick, they claim a 4 Ohm final impedance
It can be 4 ohms when measured at the head unit through the stock speaker wires, or at least that's their findings and the reason for calling it True 4 Ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.