Focal K2P - Hertz MLK 165 - or Dynaudio equivalent? (Need help deciding!)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Downr@nge

Neptune
As of now, I have only heard the Focals at my local shop. I am familiar with Dynaudio's home studio monitors which are friggin amazing sounding (I actually use Yamaha HS80M's for everyday listening in the house) but I never heard their car speakers. And finally, I keep hearing so much about Hertz and their MLK 165 set. They are $200 more expensive than the Focal K2P's though.

Next week I plan on putting some money down on the set I choose. As of now, since the Focal's were the only set I've heard ($700), they are the front runner.

I hear that Hertz speakers sound awesome and are a bit smoother (tweeters), but not as detailed mids as the focals? (I can go demo some in Philly but that is an hour drive for me)

If you have heard both (or dynaudio as well), which would you say is comparable to old school MB Quart comps (circa late 90's)? Which has that full, rich, detailed midrange sound?

I listen to a LOT of electronic (think Hird, Kruder & Dorfmeister, or Theivery Corporation when I say Electronic) and Chillout/Lounge music as well as some R&B, Jazz, and Hip Hop.

FYI, I will be getting an amp in a month or so to run whichever set I end up with.

Oh yeah, an important note, I like to listen to my music pretty loud when my kids aren't in the car. So I don't want a speaker that sounds harsh or easily distorts at high volume. Also, I don't want to have to strain to hear details when the volume is turned down a bit lower.

the Hertz MLK 165 is one of the best 2-way sets i've heard. I would buy them before anything else listed without hesitation. They are the most "neutral" speakers i've heard for car audio. The underhung woofer means you get gobs of midbass along with amazingly accurate midrange at all volume levels. the tweeters have adjustable rear chambers for more tuning options.

the Hertz MLK 165 is one of the best 2-way sets i've heard. I would buy them before anything else listed without hesitation. They are the most "neutral" speakers i've heard for car audio. The underhung woofer means you get gobs of midbass along with amazingly accurate midrange at all volume levels. the tweeters have adjustable rear chambers for more tuning options.
Within the next week or so I'm gonna burn a reference CD from lossless files and go demo the mlk 165s. I've been reading sooo much good about them.

Active means setting the filters before they are amped. Passive means using the supplied crossovers. I have had every model Hertz speaker expect the Mille. I have loved them all. The HSK XL fits my build or I would use the Mille in a heartbeat.

After all the reading I've done, the Hertz mlk165's seem more and more what I want. I'm gonna burn a lossless CD and go demo them in the next week or so.

i like the millie line always have the tweeter is really smooth and easy on the ears. alot of local shops actually boost the high end to be harsh because most average people dont know what a neutral smooth tweeter should sound like, but even when they boost them the tweets never get overwhelmingly harsh

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.