Good enclosure volume for 2 old-school 8" RE subs sealed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justinw303
10+ year member

[Space for Rent]
I've decided I need a hobby, and what better hobby to pick up then one I've done successfully in the past, and is due for another go-around?

I'm building an enclosure (for the first time ever, last time I had a friendly fella by the name of moelester build one for me, and it was great!) for two 8" RE subs from RE Audio. Dual 4 ohm, bought these fellas between 5 and 7 years ago (a coil went out on one, had to replace) and I feel like the recommended enclosure volumes they have for the current generation is a little off from what I used.

Sealed, both subs in the same chamber, with a Phoenix Gold Xenon 400.1 amp giving them 400 watts. I think technically they're rated for 175, so if I remember correctly, I should make my box a little more compact to correct for this.

My current volume calculations have me at about .77 ft^3 after accounting for subwoofer displacement (.91 before) as a minimum, with a maximum size of 1.41 ft^3(1.55).

So... What should I aim for?

We're looking at a rectangle that's 32 inches wide (not really negotiable), between 13 and 15 inches deep, between 6 and 8 inches high, subs top-firing in the trunk of a Cobalt, amp mounted between the subs. I currently can't find the amp, so I'll have to dig through storage to find it, so I'm not exactly sure of its dimensions since I can't seem to find a spec sheet for it online. Hope it fits!

Thanks in advance for any help here guys (and gals)!

So after remembering that in my old box, the subs were in separate chambers, I'm adding that to my design. I'm gonna with .7 cubes per each sub.

EDIT: Additionally, which position should I aim the subs? At first I was thinking top firing, but now I'm thinking of having them face the rear of my trunk (away from the driver). Which position would probably produce the fewest rattles, or does it matter? Any effect on loudness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.