Good and Bad Day

captaincheesey
10+ year member

Change is Inevitable
Ok, so I was driving home today and my sub cuts out. I had just recently put my sub, batt, amp, and wire into my car to bring home so I can install and wasn't too pissed off about it. I assume the sub had finally died, it's a TC-1000 8" and I have been punishing it for a while now so I was assuming it was only a matter of time. I stop at the gas station, fill up, and take the sub out of the box.

Well the sub is fine, coil is still nice and coppery. So it is looking like it might be the sub channel on my amp, which honestly does piss me off. On the bright side though, I am installing the new sub and amp tomorrow or monday so I will have bass soon, but I am bassless for a couple days and my zapco amp is nice and broken. It does cut in and out occasionally on a heavy bass song so something might just be loose, but all the wires are fine and so are the RCAs.

Could it be the wires behind the headunit? I doubt it, but could it?

THIS WAS YOU TODAY

lulcanada.jpg

check all your wiring.

Did it, checked the wiring going to the sub from the amp, and also the wiring at the sub. Might take it out tomorrow and re-check it. Also going to check to see if I am seeing any voltage at the terminals. Because if I do see voltage then it's good and not the amp, if not then I am ****ed. I have the day off so I have time.

Quick update, checked the resistance on the coils on the sub today. Actually had time. Well the coils are fried and the surround was coming off of the basket so looks like I have a nice paperweight. I would have it reconed if TC was still in business, because I love the cone I have and it is an awesome little 8. Oh well. The XXX is going in tomorrow, picked up some 8 gauge wire to use for my speaker wire. I am excited to finally have some loud bass in my car.

Happened to me too. Nothing smoked or smelt just kinda cut off. Ended up being my amp (hifonics 1606D) had some part blown. sold it for $50 lol

Well I was thinking it was the amp for a bit, but it was cutting in and out and the sub should have been the first thing to go in my mind. So I checked it, and the coils are gone. But the new sub is going in later today so it's all good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.