Good 500 RMS Amp?

Hey all, what is a decent 500 RMS amp to purchase? Anything goes, new or older to save some cash. Also would 500 RMS amp be too much for a 400 RMS Kicker L3? I figured if i get a slightly bigger amp and have the gain 3/4 instead of all the way up it will cut down the heat.

Im leaning towards an MRV-M500 since they can be bought pretty cheap now. Thoughts?

Amp is decent, if you're looking to stick with Alpine get a Type S or Type R in a custom box, ported or sealed depending on what you're looking for. I don't like Kickers much, as is the same with most forum members.

in all seriousness though, you should never have your amp's gain higher than 3/4. What you think is louder to your ear is actually distortion and clipping in the bass which will lead to burn and blown subs and amps. You gotta learn to set your gains correctly before i can advise you to buy any amp.

The reason for that comment is that the gain setting is not a volume control. While it is true that lowering the gain will lower the output of the amp in most cases, it is not true that that's what it is there for.

The gain on an amplifier is there to match the preamp voltage with the amp's input sensitivity. Once that is exceeded, the amplifier no longer gets louder... it just tries to and clips the signal it's sent. That leads to overheating of voice coils and amp internals, draws excessive current from the electrical system and generally causes premature failure of the weakest component in the system, be it subs, amp, power wire, et al.

For instance... if you have a preamp with a 4 volt output, most amps will only require a gain setting of just above the lowest setting. And again, anything more than that and you're introducing noise and endangering your components.

And to answer your question, the CT Sounds 500.1 is a great amp that does more than rated for a reasonable price and I have them.

Hey all, what is a decent 500 RMS amp to purchase? Anything goes, new or older to save some cash. Also would 500 RMS amp be too much for a 400 RMS Kicker L3? I figured if i get a slightly bigger amp and have the gain 3/4 instead of all the way up it will cut down the heat.
Im leaning towards an MRV-M500 since they can be bought pretty cheap now. Thoughts?
The gain is NOT a volume knob!

Read this:

How to set your amplifier gain with a DMM:

There are a lot of tutorials on the internet talking about setting your amplifier gain using a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter). Here I will clean up the process as simply (but accurate) as possible.

Necessary Tools/Skills

1. A volt-meter or DMM with standard test leads.

2. Ability to do 6th grade math.

3. Screwdrivers and/or Allen Wrenches (to make amplifier connections).

4. A CD with test tones - 50Hz for subs, 1000Hz for speakers.

Start by making a quick list of your equipment and their output voltage (head unit, LOC, processor, crossover, eq, etc.) and input sensitivity (amplifier(s)).

Next, list your power output ratings (actual RMS power)

Then, list your speaker/subwoofer impedance(s).

You need to know how your speakers/subs are wired - what the final impedance is going to be at the speaker terminals. If you can't figure out these numbers, you shouldn't be installing amplifiers. Pay someone who does and save yourself the damaged equipment.

Those numbers are VERY important as it is needed for the calculations below:

We are going to use the equation solving for Voltage using Power and Resistance.

Voltage = SQRT(Power x Resistance)

Example:

I have a single subwoofer with 4 ohm DVC coils. I'll wire the coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load. The sub is rated for 500W RMS.

I have a single amplifier rated 500W x1 at 2 ohms. I want all of that power available (knowing that power will only happen for small durations).

Volts = SQRT (500W x 2 ohms)

Volts = SQRT (1000)

Volts = 31.6VAC

-----------------------------------------------------------

You need to determine what the maximum volume level you SHOULD use on the head unit - not the actual maximum volume level possible. If your HU goes to VOL 40 but you never go past VOL 25, the set the gains at VOL 25 - and don't go past that level. It may not be that easy for you to determine, so here are a few tips.

Determine the maximum head unit voltage you want to use as follows:

1. if you have a factory head unit and factory speakers and are using a LOC for your sub amp, use the highest volume level you do for music (without distortion to the speakers).

2. if you have an aftermarket head unit powering factory or aftermarket speakers and are using the HU preouts for your sub amp, use the highest volume level you do for music (without distortion to the speakers).

3. if you have a factory or aftermarket head unit feeding a signal to amplifiers for speakers and subs, you need to verify the maximum unclipped, non-distorted output - or just use a 75% volume setting if you are unsure if your headunit is capable of 100% unclipped volume. You can verify this with an oscilloscope.

With the invention of the SMD DD-1 (distortion detector) the steps above can be done with more accuracy and without an oscilloscope.

When setting a subwoofer amp - if your head unit is powering speakers, you really want to disconnect them or use a high pass crossover on them. however, this may not be realistic for you. if not, then your max volume setting may not be possible without distorting your speakers. don't distort your speakers for this exercise. use whatever volume you can that doesn't distort your speakers. This is not the ideal situation, to do it right you should put high-pass crossovers on speakers when you have a sub.

----------------------------------------------------------

Once you have the head unit max volume determined, and the test tone CD playing on repeat. Set the EQ to flat, turn off processing. Make sure the fader is centered, balance is centered, sub level controls are maximum (sub level is just attenuation anyway).

You can go back to your amplifier. Your system is on and your car can be on or off - but for this work I recommend the car is on and the battery voltage is close to 14VDC.

You can disconnect any speakers/subs not associated with the channels being adjusted. The speakers/subs connected to the channels you are adjusting will be connected. I work on channel (or channel pairs) at at a time.

Set the gain to minimum. Turn off any bass boost. With the DMM set to VAC (Volts AC), touch the DMM positive leads on the speaker outputs. Slowly increase the gain until the DMM reads the voltage determined by equations above.

While you're increasing the gain - LISTEN TO YOUR SPEAKERS/SUBS!!! Listen for any distortion - popping, scratching, noises that go away when you turn the volume back down. When playing test tones it is pretty easy to hear distortion.

If you cannot achieve the voltage you calculated then turn the gain back down - avoid leaving any gain setting on MAX. it is possible that your HU output isn't strong enough at your determined volume setting. It is also possible your amplifier isn't capable of that output without a higher battery voltage.

===========================================================

You can use resistors to load the amplifier so you get a more accurate reading (like in the eD video), but the resistor load bank must have a power rating greater than the output power expected. Most of you reading this won't have a load bank on hand, especially for loads over 500W. Don't worry. You should be able to leave the speakers/subs connected - you're listening for clipping and distortion anyway.

Once you have set the gain on all of the channels separately, all of the amps separately. Hook up everything as it should be - all speakers and subs (if anything was disconnected).

Now listen to your system with music. Listen for balance between all of the speakers and subs. If you desire a more balanced sound (i.e. subs overpower speakers) you TURN DOWN GAIN on the loudest speaker/sub. DO NOT INCREASE GAIN past your set points determined above. Most head units have sub level controls, fader, etc. that allow you to attenuate the signal from your HU.

Now you can start introducing EQ, boosts, etc. Note that any bass boost more than 3dB can result in clipping or damage. I prefer a mix-minus EQ process, where i use the EQ to reduce the response peaks, not add response peaks. You've already set the amp gain as high as it should be. Once you get your EQ and boosts set, you should check your gain setting once again. Excessive bass boost settings will cause clipping with the gain steps taken above. If you require bass boost to "sound good" then repeat the gain steps above with bass boost engaged - i.e. you will turn your gain down to compensate for the extra signal level.

If you hear noises then reduce the gain at the point where there are no noises or popping as it may be an indication of amplifier clipping, or speaker/sub distortion. Some systems will develop a background hiss with improper gain structure.

If it's not loud enough - buy better or larger speakers/subs, more or larger amps, and start over. \:\) Don't force your equipment to be louder than it can, or you'll destroy it. Understand that every system has limitations.

The gain is NOT a volume knob!
Read this:

How to set your amplifier gain with a DMM:

There are a lot of tutorials on the internet talking about setting your amplifier gain using a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter). Here I will clean up the process as simply (but accurate) as possible.

Necessary Tools/Skills

1. A volt-meter or DMM with standard test leads.

2. Ability to do 6th grade math.

3. Screwdrivers and/or Allen Wrenches (to make amplifier connections).

4. A CD with test tones - 50Hz for subs, 1000Hz for speakers.

Start by making a quick list of your equipment and their output voltage (head unit, LOC, processor, crossover, eq, etc.) and input sensitivity (amplifier(s)).

Next, list your power output ratings (actual RMS power)

Then, list your speaker/subwoofer impedance(s).

You need to know how your speakers/subs are wired - what the final impedance is going to be at the speaker terminals. If you can't figure out these numbers, you shouldn't be installing amplifiers. Pay someone who does and save yourself the damaged equipment.

Those numbers are VERY important as it is needed for the calculations below:

We are going to use the equation solving for Voltage using Power and Resistance.

Example:

I have a single subwoofer with 4 ohm DVC coils. I'll wire the coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load. The sub is rated for 500W RMS.

I have a single amplifier rated 500W x1 at 2 ohms. I want all of that power available (knowing that power will only happen for small durations).

Volts = SQRT (500W x 2 ohms)

Volts = SQRT (1000)

Volts = 31.6VAC

-----------------------------------------------------------

You need to determine what the maximum volume level you SHOULD use on the head unit - not the actual maximum volume level possible. If your HU goes to VOL 40 but you never go past VOL 25, the set the gains at VOL 25 - and don't go past that level. It may not be that easy for you to determine, so here are a few tips.

Determine the maximum head unit voltage you want to use as follows:

1. if you have a factory head unit and factory speakers and are using a LOC for your sub amp, use the highest volume level you do for music (without distortion to the speakers).

2. if you have an aftermarket head unit powering factory or aftermarket speakers and are using the HU preouts for your sub amp, use the highest volume level you do for music (without distortion to the speakers).

3. if you have a factory or aftermarket head unit feeding a signal to amplifiers for speakers and subs, you need to verify the maximum unclipped, non-distorted output - or just use a 75% volume setting if you are unsure if your headunit is capable of 100% unclipped volume. You can verify this with an oscilloscope.

With the invention of the SMD DD-1 (distortion detector) the steps above can be done with more accuracy and without an oscilloscope.

When setting a subwoofer amp - if your head unit is powering speakers, you really want to disconnect them or use a high pass crossover on them. however, this may not be realistic for you. if not, then your max volume setting may not be possible without distorting your speakers. don't distort your speakers for this exercise. use whatever volume you can that doesn't distort your speakers. This is not the ideal situation, to do it right you should put high-pass crossovers on speakers when you have a sub.

----------------------------------------------------------

Once you have the head unit max volume determined, and the test tone CD playing on repeat. Set the EQ to flat, turn off processing. Make sure the fader is centered, balance is centered, sub level controls are maximum (sub level is just attenuation anyway).

You can go back to your amplifier. Your system is on and your car can be on or off - but for this work I recommend the car is on and the battery voltage is close to 14VDC.

You can disconnect any speakers/subs not associated with the channels being adjusted. The speakers/subs connected to the channels you are adjusting will be connected. I work on channel (or channel pairs) at at a time.

Set the gain to minimum. Turn off any bass boost. With the DMM set to VAC (Volts AC), touch the DMM positive leads on the speaker outputs. Slowly increase the gain until the DMM reads the voltage determined by equations above.

While you're increasing the gain - LISTEN TO YOUR SPEAKERS/SUBS!!! Listen for any distortion - popping, scratching, noises that go away when you turn the volume back down. When playing test tones it is pretty easy to hear distortion.

If you cannot achieve the voltage you calculated then turn the gain back down - avoid leaving any gain setting on MAX. it is possible that your HU output isn't strong enough at your determined volume setting. It is also possible your amplifier isn't capable of that output without a higher battery voltage.

===========================================================

You can use resistors to load the amplifier so you get a more accurate reading (like in the eD video), but the resistor load bank must have a power rating greater than the output power expected. Most of you reading this won't have a load bank on hand, especially for loads over 500W. Don't worry. You should be able to leave the speakers/subs connected - you're listening for clipping and distortion anyway.

Once you have set the gain on all of the channels separately, all of the amps separately. Hook up everything as it should be - all speakers and subs (if anything was disconnected).

Now listen to your system with music. Listen for balance between all of the speakers and subs. If you desire a more balanced sound (i.e. subs overpower speakers) you TURN DOWN GAIN on the loudest speaker/sub. DO NOT INCREASE GAIN past your set points determined above. Most head units have sub level controls, fader, etc. that allow you to attenuate the signal from your HU.

Now you can start introducing EQ, boosts, etc. Note that any bass boost more than 3dB can result in clipping or damage. I prefer a mix-minus EQ process, where i use the EQ to reduce the response peaks, not add response peaks. You've already set the amp gain as high as it should be. Once you get your EQ and boosts set, you should check your gain setting once again. Excessive bass boost settings will cause clipping with the gain steps taken above. If you require bass boost to "sound good" then repeat the gain steps above with bass boost engaged - i.e. you will turn your gain down to compensate for the extra signal level.

If you hear noises then reduce the gain at the point where there are no noises or popping as it may be an indication of amplifier clipping, or speaker/sub distortion. Some systems will develop a background hiss with improper gain structure.

If it's not loud enough - buy better or larger speakers/subs, more or larger amps, and start over. \:\) Don't force your equipment to be louder than it can, or you'll destroy it. Understand that every system has limitations.

Wow, thank you for that post, I need to get me a DMM! I figured it would be cheaper than a oscilloscope or the SMD DD1

My setup now is an aftermarket HU and OEM speakers. They distort around 25 out of 35 MAX, SO with the 40 or 50Hz CD just play the track at volume 25 and adjust gain until I get the square root number? (31.6) correct?

Wow, thank you for that post, I need to get me a DMM! I figured it would be cheaper than a oscilloscope or the SMD DD1
My setup now is an aftermarket HU and OEM speakers. They distort around 25 out of 35 MAX, SO with the 40 or 50Hz CD just play the track at volume 25 and adjust gain until I get the square root number? (31.6) correct?
Your number will vary, his example came out to 31.6, your number will come from this equation:

Power is the output (RMS power) of the amp, resistance is the ohm load the subs are wired to (your's is probably 2 ohms), or if you want to be more specific, you can measure the actual ohm load at the speaker leads at the amp. (Nothing playing, speaker wires unplugged.)

Awesome, sounds pretty straight forward. Last question should I take my RMS of the amp which will be 500 RMS or should I take the RMS of the sub which will be 400 RMS and X that by 2?

Reason I ask is since the sub is 100 RMS lower.

the amp produces the pwr, the sub receives the pwr.... whats the rms of the sub and the max of the sub?
It is a Kicker L3 so 400 Cont RMS and 800 Peak RMS.

Also what does the bass knob control? Is it bass boost? Or just cutting power to the amp?

don't use the bass knob, just there for wank factor (and do more damage than good) imo.... make sure you read up on how to set your gains properly on your amp.

i'd say that sub should be fine as long as you don't send it a clipped signal. is it duel 2 ohm or single 4 ohm?

don't use the bass knob, just there for wank factor (and do more damage than good) imo.... make sure you read up on how to set your gains properly on your amp.
i'd say that sub should be fine as long as you don't send it a clipped signal. is it duel 2 ohm or single 4 ohm?

If I set the gain with my proper VAC I should not get clipping correct? (as long as I dont go over my max distortion level of the head unit)

I am going with a single subwoofer set up, DVC 4 OHM ran to the amp as a 2 OHM load.

Okay what level should I set my HEADUNIT subwoofer level at? I wanted the bass knob or some way to turn down the sub woofer when I am crusing on long road trips

Can I set the Headunit SUB LEVEL to max and THEN tune the amp and sub so I can turn the SUB level on the HU to 0 when I want no bass or is that bass boost?

Question: The amp i am purchasing does not have a Sub sonic filter. Now is that a problem? the box i am going to get will most likely be around 34hz so if i did have a ssf i would set it for half octive below that which would be around 26hz.

Now since mine doesnt have a ssf how many songs will go that low? Mainly rap and dubstep for me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.