Good 4/0?

Buck I used 4/0 in my Ram, it wasn't really flexable like car audio wire, but honestly it worked fine. it was a little more effort to bend it but I jsut over bent and it turned corners fine. I am using welding wire again. The flexability of wire is over rated IMO, you install it and forget it. We put all this effort into making custom boxes, deadening our doors... and to lay some wire, we want it to be like limp pasta! Why? Just my 0.02
Good point.

Time to shiat or get off the pot. .
^^^^You too.

You said you need wire, but it would cost more to ship it to you than buying it local. I can beat $5/ft + tax, which is about what you would pay local. Once again, how many feet you want and what size?

Buck I used 4/0 in my Ram, it wasn't really flexable like car audio wire, but honestly it worked fine. it was a little more effort to bend it but I jsut over bent and it turned corners fine. I am using welding wire again. The flexability of wire is over rated IMO, you install it and forget it. We put all this effort into making custom boxes, deadening our doors... and to lay some wire, we want it to be like limp pasta! Why? Just my 0.02

2/0 welding lead is more than flexible enough for use in car audio. Some people are more worried about being flashy and nuthuggers than actual performance. And i have yet to do an install where i need to tie a 3" diameter knot in a power run.

a good gauge of flexibility is the strand size and strand count.
Truth^^^^^^^^

Has nothing to do with the color of the jacket or name printed on it. And CCA has to be ~20% larger to conduct the same amperage as OFC, because oxygen free copper is less resistive than copper clad aluminum. Copper is also less prone to expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. Which means fewer problems with connections working loose. CCA is a budget alternative to true copper. Aluminum works, but if you can afford it, copper is going to give better service overall.

I just did the math on the cross section on 1/0, 2/0/and 4/0....

Math works out that 2 - 1/0 cables is the exact same size as 1 4/0.

Cross section in millimeters squared is as follows.

1/0 = 53.5

2/0 = 67.4

4/0 = 107.2

So:

2 runs of 1/0 = 1 run of 4/0

2 runs of 2/0 = 1 run of 5/0 (to give comparo's)

So for anyone looking for bang for the buck, consider the pricing first.

That list is for standard welding cable. So some stereo companies will exceed that. But that's all the more reason to run 2 runs of 1/0 instead of 1 run of 4/0.

Which is what I plan on doing now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Buck

5,000+ posts
little alien on campus
Buck
Inside of a pyramid
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date