GM and their Computer system head units...

luckiebrand13
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Illinois
I have heard that their is some complications involved in installing the head unit in the new GM cars. I myself own an 04 Colorado. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of harnesses/interfaces their are out there and where I could possibly get them if this is the case. I am being told by more then one person that I have to bypass my computer. Let me know.

i believe i can help with u with this. i dont know if its still a problem but from 99 to at least 03 gm put the main computer in the radio. without the radio u dont have ur chimes, battery prtection and ive heard airbags but ive never crashed so unsre on that. i just said f*ck it and i can remember to turn my ights off. i forgoton like15 times now and now my batery barely holds a charge. there are a couple ways around ths but my explanation my not be 100% u can remount the stock radio under a seat or in cavaliers in the rear behind the side panel.just run it to power igbnition and ground though. they also make a miidle piece that goes in between the harness and the hu which runs like 70 on i belive crutchfield.com and circuit city. thats all i git

uckiebrand13: I just had an aftermarket radio installed at Magnolia Hi Fi in my 04 Colorado. Everything works fine. I cant find the receipt to get the part # for the harness though. I do remember that the harness cost me around $100.

what you need is the wiring harness from pac audio. i have the c2r-gm24 for my trailblazer. i dont have onstar or bose either so be sure to look for the right one for you car. i dont know if it'll take the same wiring harness as mines though. pac audios wiring harness is the only harness i've found that doesn't require you to relocate your stock radio, plus it keeps everything at stock, ie chimes, lights, etc...only downside is its really expensive, so i suggest you look on ebay for one.

Metra is my piece of choice. Soundgate has one that is actually quite identical to the Metra piece. Peripheral also makes a very nice interface. Any of them will run you near 100 just about anywhere. At the shop i work for, ours generally sell for $88.

We have done a ton of GM vehicles with the Metra VTGMRC01 and have never had a problem.. dont have to mount the unit somewhere else either.. Our Harness sells for 59.99..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.