Glue? Permatex?

Participant count
  • Participant list

crockettlarry

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm having to replace a door panel in my 20 year old truck because plastic is broken. A couple of years ago, I had the whole sound system refreshed.

The tweeter uses the sandwich/ring screw mounting method, and there is black, hardened material on part of the ring of the housing. It is hard but brittle, not gummy. I assume it was used to keep the ring/mount from loosening due to vibration.

What is this material? I want to put it back like it was.

Larry

Hard telling what the factory uses. Some industrial glues you can't even just buy as they may be a proprietary blend for a manufacturer or contain ingredients for which you need appropriate material handling licensing. Dealership would probably be the best source of OEM adhesives if they can be obtained by the consumer.

I like to use Amazing Goop glue in general for audio but I'd wager any construction adhesive would do the job.

This wasn't factory. Like I said, I had my speakers refreshed/replaced along with a new head unit. A local shop did it. I'll call them to try and find out, because it's apparently not common knowledge. I work nights and was hoping to find the information when I was searching at 2 am. :D and then this thread

Their is not a certain thing that all shops use. The only way to know what the shop used is to ask that shop.
I am sure that it is just a general adhesive. Anything from Elmer’s glue to construction adhesive to superglue will work.

I'm having to replace a door panel in my 20 year old truck because plastic is broken. A couple of years ago, I had the whole sound system refreshed.

The tweeter uses the sandwich/ring screw mounting method, and there is black, hardened material on part of the ring of the housing. It is hard but brittle, not gummy. I assume it was used to keep the ring/mount from loosening due to vibration.

What is this material? I want to put it back like it was.

Larry
A system refresh suggests new speakers. Is the installer still in the game? Maybe they can give you an idea of what they used?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...