Glassing in Glass

bigred78797
10+ year member

Audiobahn Junkie
Ok guys as yall already know im preparing to make my new fiberglass box for 4 audiobahn 10"s. I've done fiberglassing before but i have never had plexiglass before. I finished with the planning got all the materials but one thing. I need some plexiglass or something perfectly clear, do yall know where i could get it?? And how exactly would i embed it into the fiberglass. Would i just build a MDF frame and fiberglass the frame in place or would there be anything else that i would need to do. What thickness should i use for the plexiglass. Im running 4 audiobahns at about 1200w each so im guessing it would need to be kinda thick. And how do i cut plexiglass or can i even do that? oh and about how much does it cost?? Any help would be appreciated. Here is the design of what it should look like after completion. I looked at alll the links but could find anything that could help me out on this techniques.

i'd hate to break it to you...but plexi glass is a type of acrylic. how do i know? plexiglass is a brand name. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif like lexan and more. i'd suggest getting the thickest stuff you can find. actually...i would suggest not using glass with that much power....but if you insist....try and get something at least 1" thick. decide on the exact dimensions and have them cut it there. it might end up costing a couple hundred dollars....its really not cheap stuff.

Thanks, see ya learn somethin new everyday. Well looks like it's gonna be 1" thick acrylic a.k.a. Plexiglass or Lexan, mounted in a mdf frame glassed in place. I really don't wanna spend that much but if i gots to i got to.

Originally posted by debutis why not just use multiple layers of the thinner stuff? say, 4 layers over 1/4" thick clear acrylic.. Ive used this before and you cant even tell it's layerd..
yes you can...plus unless you lamenate them together, you dont get anywhere near the same strength....cant tell they are layer....lol...wow....

Well it really depends on how big your windows are going to be. I would go with the mdf frame. And I would also make it two smaller windows. Instead of one large piece. You can get the plexi in assorted thicknesses all the way up to 3" and 4" thick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif It is extremely expensive the thicker you get. You can get an idea of the price by checking out http://www.selectproducts.com //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for that link ramos you just saved me a butt load of searching. It's not as bad as i thought it would be though i thought it wass gonna cost me like 500. Im only gonna be 150 bux in the hole cuz that 1"x16"x32" piece is the exact deminsions that i need.

They make a pretty tough "laminated" style of glass. It is several sheets of glass with inner lexan sheets/cores thermally bonded. It is absolutely clear, and btw bullet proof. if you knock on it (when used as a window) It has a deeper sound to it than regular glass or plexiglass. I have bought sheets 9"wide and 6' high for around 90 bucks each. you should be able to get them from any glassworking shop. Just have them cut it for you.

good luck

Originally posted by nogoals They make a pretty tough "laminated" style of glass. It is several sheets of glass with inner lexan sheets/cores thermally bonded. It is absolutely clear, and btw bullet proof. if you knock on it (when used as a window) It has a deeper sound to it than regular glass or plexiglass. I have bought sheets 9"wide and 6' high for around 90 bucks each. you should be able to get them from any glassworking shop. Just have them cut it for you.

good luck

Dude where are you getting safety glass for that cheap ? It runs about $500 for a full 4' x 8' sheet 1" thick around here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by nogoals think about, you could get 5 sheets of what i bought out of that 4x8 sheet. 90x5=450.

not much differance huh!!

Yeah but I have to buy a full sheet to get it at that price. Anything less than a full sheet the price per foot goes up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif If I were to buy a sheet your size it would run about $150. You are getting a pretty good deal. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.