Give me you opinion!

Participant count
  • Participant list

DeboLotti
10+ year member

I have a duralast gold under the hood right now and a 120 amp stock alt. My 2 12" L7s will be run off of a rockford r-1000d, so 1000w rms if not a little more. Im also installing headrest screens and leds if that matters. If I intend to sometimes play my music with the car off, what do I need to do? I bought an optima redtop the other day, should I take it back and can I get a better starting battery for the $220 I spent? Or is my duralast fine? Id really like to not have to spend any more money. Also, do I NEED a HO alt? Id really rather not have to get an alternator AND a agm deep cycle batt. And I did the big 3 with 0 gauge. Please try to answer

1)is my duralast gold good enough

2) is my 120 amp alt good enough, if not what size

3) should I keep the redtop and ditch the duralast? It will be a one battery system so one or the other

4) what battery is convienent and better for the same cost if there is one

Thanks!!

I will tell you my experience of the new redtops..Mine only lasted approx 4 months if that..Apparently they are having some kind of issue with them , as far as my experience went this last yr, and a half actually..Ive been buying redtops since 1999/2000, and have never had any issues, until now..My opinion,would be to keep your Duralast for your starting batterry,and get a decent AGM battery..I found that Orileys AGM batteries have a 7yr warranty,(3yr free replacement, and after that prorated up to the 7th yr,)and is a bit cheaper,is a 950 ca,750cca, and 120 res, and a 105ah..I would try the battery set up first to see how your electrical holds up to the task before jumping rt in to buying an expensive alternator

I see what you're saying, but what agm do you reccomend? And I only want it to be a one battery setup. Also I've read that it isn't good to put more than one battery on a stock alt...

if you plan on rockin the system with the vehicle off for extended periods of time you will need a source of power i.e. a battery. With putting in multiple batteries your will need to reliably charge said batteries i.e. HO alt. You can get away with the stock alt for some time but ultimately failure will happen. I always recommend not to run a system for long periods of time without the vehicle running unless you have sufficient reserves of power.

Id get an AGM from orileys..$159 here,but its got a 7yr warranty?? 3yrs free exchange,4yrs prorated?? 950 ca,750 cca,120 res,and 105 ah?? and its an AGM?? 7 yr warranty???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.