Gimme ideas on SQL front stage.

Participant count
  • Participant list

8thGenSI
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Running a DC level 5 12" in a ported box tuned to 32 hz on a RD 3250.1 in my 2014 WRX. Currently have a CDT ES set up for front stage running on a Mosconi Gladen 120.4, I don't think my current front stage will keep up. I want to bridge the Mosconi and power a nice set of SQL components.

The Mosconi can do 340ish watts bridged, any ideas on some decent sounding components that can handle that much juice?

You don't think it WILL keep up? You haven't installed it? See how it is first, then look for an upgrade if you still think you need it.
I have pretty good reason to believe it... I had 2 10" jl w7's ran on 1500 watts in a sealed box in the car previously, judging by how hard I had to run my front stage with that sub stage to get the sound I wanted leads me to believe that need to upgrade. I am going to what I know will be a much louder sub set up' I did some testing with a box I threw together. Yea, I need an upgrade on front stage for sure.

What ES Gold speakers do you have? I would not try to run that much power through passive crossovers. I need more information before I can make a recommendation.

My car uses CDT HD-6 for midbass with 250W RMS per woofer. The midrange and tweeters are run passively with 85W RMS per side. I use ES-04 and HD-1A/BL. These aren't the only speakers in my system but I'm confident if I pared it down to the 3-ways it would still be plenty loud for 1 12" ported. The key is good sensitivity on the speakers and for high power handling you need to use very safe crossover settings.

The front stage will have to be upgraded eventually regardless. I will be up upgrading my substage again in December, I anticipate running about 7k watts.

What ES Gold speakers do you have? I would not try to run that much power through passive crossovers. I need more information before I can make a recommendation.
My car uses CDT HD-6 for midbass with 250W RMS per woofer. The midrange and tweeters are run passively with 85W RMS per side. I use ES-04 and HD-1A/BL. These aren't the only speakers in my system but I'm confident if I pared it down to the 3-ways it would still be plenty loud for 1 12" ported. The key is good sensitivity on the speakers and for high power handling you need to use very safe crossover settings.
I am running the ES-6IM and ES-010.

I am running the ES-6IM and ES-010.
That's not drastically different from what I'm running, except I added a midrange speaker. The addition of a small midrange helps to maintain clarity and it adds a bit of additional output. I'm not certain that is a route you need to take. It's harder to tune a 3-way system, but the results are very rewarding.

Power handling for a midrange woofer, and really any kind of midrange or tweeter, increases as you remove more lower frequencies from what the driver is allowed to play. For example, a lot of people like to cross their 6.5" mids at around 60 Hz to get more bass up front. That often is a struggle for a 6.5" to play truly loudly with good clarity as the cone is pounding like mad. Less cone movement is best for reducing distortion. The way to make that happen with a 6.5 is to raise the crossover frequency and/or increasing the slope. Right now I'm using 90 Hz at -24 dB/octave for the sub/midbass crossovers. Would this work for you? It depends on how well the subwoofer will perform that high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.