getting my box for my 2 18 crossfire xs v2's next week what to tune it to???

Participant count
  • Participant list
i have 2 crossfire V1s and on 8k they are tuned to 32 htz and its way too low for my liking. its tearing my truck apart. i think anywhere from 30-34 you will be happy with the correct box and power.

It really depends on the application. But, if you do not listen to any mixed, or chopped, or slowed music then tuning to anything below around 35hz is unnecessary and can cause you to lose the high end as well, depending on the vehicle.

I am currently doing a design right now for those same drivers, because the v.3s are I guess gone right now, and I have the design I'm working on tuned around the mid 30s. They ironically do not need that much compression area and can be utilized with a pretty large port if you have the room for them to work properly.

So, all in all, I would say a good basis is to go with 35hz. But that is not really sub dependant with these drivers as they are very musical subs and can be tuned to pretty much anything within normal sub range.

well i want either 30 or 33 hz im really set on those two im stuck ive had a box at 35 and it was nice id say musically its the best tune but i still want just a little more lower end maybe 33 would be good for me then

It really depends on the application. But, if you do not listen to any mixed, or chopped, or slowed music then tuning to anything below around 35hz is unnecessary and can cause you to lose the high end as well, depending on the vehicle. I am currently doing a design right now for those same drivers, because the v.3s are I guess gone right now, and I have the design I'm working on tuned around the mid 30s. They ironically do not need that much compression area and can be utilized with a pretty large port if you have the room for them to work properly.

So, all in all, I would say a good basis is to go with 35hz. But that is not really sub dependant with these drivers as they are very musical subs and can be tuned to pretty much anything within normal sub range.
i listen to mostly rap and i throw on some screwed and slowed music once in a while i just want some really deep bass this is my first time doing 18s so i dont know much on how they will sound i heard my buddys 2 18 mayhems tuned to 32 hertz and i wanted just a little bit deeper bass 32 hz

That sounds reasonable for sure. If 32-33hz is what you are possibly after, that is a good goal for gaining low end without losing musicality. Now, when I mentioned phase, that actually has a lot to do with the response more so than tuning in a conventional design because in a conventional design, usually, if the design is workable, the phase shift is drastic below tuning and once it reaches a certain degree, you lose output in that area and thereafter.

Have you ever noticed that in some designs, if you run a tone generator to it, that it gets louder around tuning, then drops drastically, and if you go low enough in frequency below tuning that the output seems to increase a bit? This is not from mechanical noise, this is audible and has everything to do with phase. It is a very important variable in frequency response of a design.

So, if everything is done right, it will be as smooth as possible and as close to the placement degree of the driver and port as possible and you will get a very usable low end even with the same tuning as another design which does not concentrate on phase response.

I just wanted to point that out there that it has a lot to do with how much low end you can receive more importantly than tuning.

Tuning works because normally at tuning, the phase is near zero, which is a good thing.

So, the point is not to concentrate so much on tuning rather than a better phase response with a higher tuning for a more musical output and authority in the low end, though tuning lower does help.....its mainly due to that variable of phase. So getting a custom design that concentrates on that as well is a very good idea. Even the area of baffle can change the phase coorellation of a design.

The point of this is to let you, and everyone else know that the reason tuning became so popular was due to that relationship. Very important to note when dealing with such a sensitive question of only a mere few herts difference.

That sounds reasonable for sure. If 32-33hz is what you are possibly after, that is a good goal for gaining low end without losing musicality. Now, when I mentioned phase, that actually has a lot to do with the response more so than tuning in a conventional design because in a conventional design, usually, if the design is workable, the phase shift is drastic below tuning and once it reaches a certain degree, you lose output in that area and thereafter. Have you ever noticed that in some designs, if you run a tone generator to it, that it gets louder around tuning, then drops drastically, and if you go low enough in frequency below tuning that the output seems to increase a bit? This is not from mechanical noise, this is audible and has everything to do with phase. It is a very important variable in frequency response of a design.

So, if everything is done right, it will be as smooth as possible and as close to the placement degree of the driver and port as possible and you will get a very usable low end even with the same tuning as another design which does not concentrate on phase response.

I just wanted to point that out there that it has a lot to do with how much low end you can receive more importantly than tuning.

Tuning works because normally at tuning, the phase is near zero, which is a good thing.

So, the point is not to concentrate so much on tuning rather than a better phase response with a higher tuning for a more musical output and authority in the low end, though tuning lower does help.....its mainly due to that variable of phase. So getting a custom design that concentrates on that as well is a very good idea. Even the area of baffle can change the phase coorellation of a design.

The point of this is to let you, and everyone else know that the reason tuning became so popular was due to that relationship. Very important to note when dealing with such a sensitive question of only a mere few herts difference.

well im having a guy whos a db drag world champion build the box its gonna be a in a 1997 honda civic coupe lol back seats are out i want a window line box though not a wall.so the box may go partially in the trunk also and cut out the rear deck port firing up i think the subs will be facing forward also i told him i was to get low as hell he said tune it to 34 hz lol i wanted lower than that though.

That sounds reasonable for sure. If 32-33hz is what you are possibly after, that is a good goal for gaining low end without losing musicality. Now, when I mentioned phase, that actually has a lot to do with the response more so than tuning in a conventional design because in a conventional design, usually, if the design is workable, the phase shift is drastic below tuning and once it reaches a certain degree, you lose output in that area and thereafter. Have you ever noticed that in some designs, if you run a tone generator to it, that it gets louder around tuning, then drops drastically, and if you go low enough in frequency below tuning that the output seems to increase a bit? This is not from mechanical noise, this is audible and has everything to do with phase. It is a very important variable in frequency response of a design.

you seem like you really know ur stuff man lol i hardly know what ur talking about theres a lot of things to a box i will never understand still till this day

you seem like you really know ur stuff man lol i hardly know what ur talking about theres a lot of things to a box i will never understand still till this day
Thanks. Its ok. It can take many years and a LOT of experience and training and experimentation and results (good and bad) to get where some of us are. But that is why I am here, to help out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Glad you have someone knowledgable in the field doing the design for you! Notice how he even said 34Hz? *hint* There is something to that.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol. Again, it depends on the phase correlation, so if that is good, the tuning will matter less. Know what I mean?

Nice lol. I like the persistence! You would make a wonderful customer! Very openminded I love that! Stick with your lower tuning and don't let anyone tell you different if that is what you are looking for with a conventional setup! Let him know your concerns and if he is careful about it, he will accommodate them accordingly if possible. You're very welcome and I hope it all works out. I would not mind a PM in the future of how it worked out for you either //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.