Gas mileage has gone to ****. Why?

better start charging more for your craiglist finds
I make out alright. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Update, cleaned my air filter, checked out the MAF and it looked pretty clean. Ordering new plug wires soon...

checked out the MAF and it looked pretty clean. Ordering new plug wires soon...
clean it anyway, I just looked at mine and it looked clean also but went ahead and sprayed it down and WOW!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif what a difference.

****, complaining about 22mpg, I only get 12mpg at best. lol
6.6l V8.

That makes you dumb.

I have a 3.8L V6 and get about 25+ mpg.

I drive 10 miles to school and back twice a week, and that's about it, really, and my last tank lasted me around 1-1/2 months.

No joke.

it doesn't make me dumb, its my first car that I paid less than half its value and once I get a new car this one will be used for drag racing. a 6.6L 400cu big block V8 is a great place to start for draggin //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

it doesn't make me dumb, its my first car that I paid less than half its value and once I get a new car this one will be used for drag racing. a 6.6L 400cu big block V8 is a great place to start for draggin //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I actually never even saw your car.

But, I concur, sir. I just wouldn't drive it around. I'd rather buy a Neon. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

My butt hole tightens when I see a 5.4l, yet alone a 6.6.

But 400cu is pretty doppe. Port and Polish that bish.

my 5.0 gets 28 miles per gallon at 65, and like 18-20 around town. Just throwing that out there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But id say dont do 95 on the highway, check your tires, check your fuel system for cleanliness

you should address the o2 sensors first. when your ECM see's bad readings from the o2 sensors it doesn't know how much fuel is actually being burned in the engine, therefore it starts dumping fuel into the motor, causing poor mpg. you said you have the sencond or back o2 sensor in a test pipe? what about the pre-cat or front sensor? also do you have any lean codes pending? plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injector flush and air filter are good and will raise mpg's, but i would deal with the o2's first.

Wow... so much failure on replies in this thread. Some way may true, but most is not on a Honda.

There is no MAF sensor. There is a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. It does not require cleaning, or maintenance. Leave that alone. It could crack very easily where it screws onto the throttle body, or you could damage the O-ring and sensor tip.

Get your codes pulled at AutoZone.. it's free. Your CEL has been on, so you do not know if there was something else that popped up.

Those "good" spark plugs do not do anything for you. Honda's run fine on the OEM NGK plugs.

Take a look at the plug wires, if they're cracked or obviously worn, replace them. One way to check them is at night, or in the dark. Open the hood and look at the plug wires... if you see little sparks arcing off the wires, they're shot.

Pull the spark plugs, and see how they look. If they're a little grey/white, you're lean, if they look dark, you're running rich. Because you probably have Iridium plugs, they'll probably show they're a little lean, because they're a hotter plug. A normal worn plug will show light brown or a tint of redish tan color.

Pull the distributor cap, and see if there's any carbon buildup, as well as the point on the rotor. Are those parts still original?

cvjp417, I don't know who told you having a short(er) intake will make you run lean, but they're an idiot. It doesn't.

Go to Advance Auto, pick up a can of Sea Foam. Use 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and the last 1/3 into the intake. SLOWLY pour it in while the car is idling, shut car off, wait 5 minutes, and start the car back up and take it a couple miles wide open throttle. You'll be amazed the **** and all the smoke that blow out of the exhaust.

The fuel filter is very simple. For mine, it's 3 10mm bolts holding to the bracket, and a banjo bolt holding the fuel line on to/from the fuel rail. Can be done in 5 minutes. Take the gas cap off to relieve pressure before doing it, pull the PGMFI fuse and give it a couple cranks, your fuel system is then unpressurized.

Change your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve, too. You'll actually burn oil if it's that bad. the use of a PCV valve is to release pressure from the motor, letting it breathe better. If that little valve is gummed up, it can't let any pressure out. If you happen to be lucky like me, and no one has one in stock, you can take it out, and soak it in gas or shoot it with Carb/Choke cleaner. Shake it, if you hear rattling, it's good, and that means the valve is working.

EGR valve won't really do that.. if it was, it would run like **** on part throttle and cruising.

Last thing I can think of is the 02 sensor(s). Like I said before, get the codes pulled. It could be the 02 heater circuits, or the sensor itself is fouled. If it's fouled, it's not going to get a correct reading, and it's just going to dump more fuel in. The 02 at the header is the upstream sensor, used to measure fuel burn ratios in closed loop operation. Anything over 1/2 throttle, it's going to read from the down stream sensor (in the test pipe), because the upstream can no longer read them fast enough, so it reads the exhaust gases. IMO, get rid of the test pipe, and get a high-flow catylic converter, such as a Car-Sounds cat. When you actually put an exhaust on the car, it's going to sound super raspy and really loud with a test pipe on there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.