Fun Wiring Question!

Participant count
  • Participant list

JW266

Killer
Loomis
Looking at the birth certificate for this amp I'm about to drop in and....

Bridged Power, 4 ohms = 572w
Output Power, 2 ohms = 403w Per Ch.

If I wire the coils on a D2 sub separately to each channel rather than series and than bridged on the amp will it be getting 800w?

Attachments

• PXL_20210808_222758694.jpg
    PXL_20210808_222758694.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 110
Seems like a weird rating and the bridged power is exceptionally low. Assuming the power supply section is stiff enough at all impedances, it should produce 800w bridged. If each channel produces 400w at 2-ohm, it "should" do 800 watt bridged at 4.

If it is just a single D2 sub, try both ways and see which performs best, it's easy enough to do.

Seems like a weird rating and the bridged power is exceptionally low. Assuming the power supply section is stiff enough at all impedances, it should produce 800w bridged. If each channel produces 400w at 2-ohm, it "should" do 800 watt bridged at 4.

If it is just a single D2 sub, try both ways and see which performs best, it's easy enough to do.

Apparently this amp was made back when "cheater" amps were the hot thing. Something like the makers would under rate their amps like crazy. I got it wired up to a single D2 with each coil to its own channel right now. Tryna let this newish sub loosen up a bit before I give it all the juice. I should probs hook up the dmm and see what kinda volts it's throwing out.

I remember cheater amps and that was my first thought since it looks like an older Planet Audio, but surprised they would waste time with a test certificate on this with false numbers when it says 800w on the front of it, that isn't very stealthy. I just checked the manual and I guess I’m not sure what this puts out then. But yeah, testing the output voltage might give a rough idea. Edit: based on the fuse rating and length of the amp, it would still seem 800w is in the realm of possibility.

I remember cheater amps and that was my first thought since it looks like an older Planet Audio, but surprised they would waste time with a test certificate on this with false numbers when it says 800w on the front of it, that isn't very stealthy. I just checked the manual and I guess I’m not sure what this puts out then. But yeah, testing the output voltage might give a rough idea. Edit: based on the fuse rating and length of the amp, it would still seem 800w is in the realm of possibility.

View attachment 31391
Yea this thing is quite large and wicked heavy. I also have a 2002 that matches it. I should probably hook that up to the mids and try and find another small 2 channel for the tweets.

Apparently this amp was made back when "cheater" amps were the hot thing. Something like the makers would under rate their amps like crazy. I got it wired up to a single D2 with each coil to its own channel right now. Tryna let this newish sub loosen up a bit before I give it all the juice. I should probs hook up the dmm and see what kinda volts it's throwing out.
I have several Cheater old school amps..Zeds..I can relate

View attachment 31391
The math checks out... Bridged puts out almost exactly double the voltage of each channel separately with the 50hz test tone. Got the gain set at lowest, and the HU set just a little under full tilt.

I would say it for sure does the 800 easily. But only by using both channels at 2ohms. Now what if it's actually stable at a lower impedance bridged than they rate like all those other old school cheater amps?

Lol it'll go hard enough with another 12 in this little 2 door coupe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...