SOLD FS/FT MMATS, MTX and Atomic

dkc62
10+ year member

SoundStream®
One Juggernaut motor for a $100 plus shipping

Atomic amp 800.1 with the 1500.1 board in it. Asking for $200 plus shipping.

http://img293.echo.cx/my.php?image=dcp00019xl.jpg

A MTX Thunder 405 5 channel amplifier for $100 shipped. I posted a little review that I got off of a car audio review site. PM me or post here if your interested.

review

I bought a used MTX Thunder 405 for my 97 GMC extended cab. I'd read that MTX made excellent amplifiers, but I had always been afraid to buy one because of the conservative power ratings. I found a deal on a used on on ebay so I took the plunge.

Specifications

MTX is notorious for under rating their amplifier output. They list the 12.5 volt average power for the amp as:

25 X 4 + 100 X 1 at 4 ohms

50 X 4 + 200 X 1 at 2 ohms

At 14.4 volts (approximate voltage of most automobile electrical systems) the power output increases to:

65 X 4 + 150 X 1 at 4 ohms

125 X 4 + 300 X 1 at 2 ohms

The factory test each amp before it is shipped and it must meet the minimum specs, MTX encloses a "birth sheet" with each amp so the end user will know how well their amp performed. The 12.5 volt results that were included with my amp are:

58 X 4 + 269 X 1 at 4 ohms

86 X 4 + 391 X 1 @ 2 ohms

It amazes me that MTX chooses to under rate the amp by that much! Obviously the marketing should state that the Thunder 405 is at least a 50 X 4 + 200 X 1. Why they chose to advertise the Thunder 405 at less than half it's actual output is beyond me, but it is one of the reasons that it took me so long to buy an MTX!

The Thunder 405 is capable of running with one, two, or three sets of RCA cables. There is an input select switch that is used to select your configuration. In order to maintain maximum control of your sound you need a head unit with 3 sets of RCA outputs.

The front and rear channels have variable crossovers that can be adjusted from 40 - 200hz withe the crossover select switch out or 1.8 - 9khz with the select switch pressed. For the sub channel, the crossover is adjustable from 40 - 200 hz (FYI - the newer MTX 5 channels don't have the variable adjustment). There is a "Bass EQ" knob that is nothing more than a bass boost, it gives you up to 18db of boost at 40 hz.

The Thunder 405 has an Electronic Bass Control port so that you can control the bass remotely using the optional EBC module. If you don't have an HU with 3 sets up preouts, the EBC can give you the dynamic sub adjustments that you need.

Installation

The Thunder 405 is meant to be the heart of your entire sound system, so as with any other 5 channel amp you will be running a lot of wires. MTX recommends 4 gauge power and ground wires and you'll need some heavy gauge speaker wire (I chose 12 ga). All of the connections at the amp require spade type connectors. I personally dislike making my connections this way. I prefer the type that have a hole that you insert the wire into and tighten.

The spade terminals are arranged sort of awkwardly, the front speaker connectors are staggered above the rear speaker connectors. It's not a big deal once the amp is installed, but you have to connect the rear channels before the front. The spade terminals also seem to be susceptible to breakage, they are make of plastic and flex excessively during installation, be careful not to apply too much pressure!

Expect to spend a while installing this amp. The mounting and connections will only take a few minutes, but running the wires is going to be time consuming. I installed my amp from start to finish in about 4 hours.

Sound

At first I was disappointed with the sound of the Thunder 405, as with any 5 channel (or other amp for that matter) you have to take some time to adjust everything. Once I got the gains set correctly I had to tinker with the crossovers and finally the Bass EQ. The end result is outstanding sound! The Thunder 405 has plenty of power, the sound is clean, even at high volumes. In the sound quality department the Thunder 405 can definitely hold it's own. It has more than enough power for me and can get louder than I want to hear!

Daily Use

The Thunder 405's heat sink is kind of smooth. I was sort of afraid that it might get hot in the limited space behind the rear seat of my truck. So far the amp just gets warm, even during extended periods of high volume.

Power consumption has not been an issue. The class D sub channel helps to keep the lights from dimming during heavy bass notes. The Thunder 405 has 3 25 amp fuses but I doubt it draws anywhere near 75 amps, my stock electrical system has no trouble keeping the amp happy.

Summary

The Thunder 405 a very good amp, it sounds wonderful, doesn't strain your electrical system, fits in a small place and is as reliable as they come. It's amazing that MTX is still able to produce such quality components in the USA and keep the cost reasonable. Since this amp is discontinued you'll probably only get a shot at one used, which means you can get a VERY good amp for a very good price!

Recommended

Yes

I'm taking a big loss on this and my subwoofer plans went a different way.

Ready to be built for any subwoofer.

MMATS JUGGERNAUT 15 INCH MOTOR

$100 plus shipping.

Want a custom woofer? Give RE a Call and have a custom built sub for $100 or less. This motor weights 38.8lbs and is ready to be built.

Have a basket already? Just get the voice coils and a cone and your set.

$100 firm.

http://img118.echo.cx/my.php?image=juggernaut9va.jpg

Atomic 800.1d. Now this is a badass amp and it sounds better then I thought when I hooked it up yesterday to my buddies Rockford Fosgate. The sub only lasted for 15 minutes before the it blew. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif So now I need to replace his 10 inch sub. $200 PLUS SHIPPING.

http://img24.echo.cx/my.php?image=dcp00029wt.jpg

One Rockford Fosgate Punch 100a 2 with endcaps. It's the mid to late '90's model. Make offer.

Now I am personally looking for a descent sub of any size. So throw out offers if your interested in anything I have.

Well it'll do 1500rms at 1 ohm but if you have a great electrical system you can run it at 1/2 ohm to get the 2800 watts. Atomic amp is made by Atomic loud speakers. It weights 17lbs and is 17 and half inch long. Three 40 amp fuses with sub sonic filter, low pass and all that. If you plan to run is in the USAIC it will put you in the unlimited class. I've had this amp for a year but only used it very little. Durability seems to not run hot and it's cleaner then I thought. Atomic is known to make super woofers for SPL but having a clean amp was a shock. You can do a search at t e r m p r o.com on Atomic amps to get more info.

That would be great havint 96% THD!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif AWESOME!!!

OK, not the big and main question.... is it strappable? I guess I could just ask Mike or George, but figured you might now after all you are selling it. Does anyone know?

Shawn

That would be great havint 96% THD!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif AWESOME!!!
OK, not the big and main question.... is it strappable? I guess I could just ask Mike or George, but figured you might now after all you are selling it. Does anyone know?

Shawn
I'm not sure if it is strappable but I can find out I hope.

Here are the official specs:

Digital mono block amplifier

Dual MOS-FET power supplies

Efficiency over 86%

RMS power handling-- 300w @ 4 ohms

RMS power handling---1100w @ 2 ohms

RMS power handling---1500w @ 1 ohms

Signal-to-noise ratio 105dB

Bass remote controller with telephone wire & click volume & blue LED

3 way protection: over voltage, speaker short & thermal overload

Total harmonic distortion:

Continuously variable 0 – 18dB Bass Boost

Built - in variable 0 – 18dB per octave x’over

Applied to maximum fuse: 60-80A

Size: 18.5” x 10” x 2.20”

ill take the mtx amp.... message me your info and shizzzle and we will get that thing taken care of //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.