Frustrated and need advice

beast98

I have a 'survivor' car...A 1973 Pontiac Luxury Le Mans with 20k original miles on it. It's show quality in its original state. I'm an audio freak with great systems in my two other cars and my home.

Problem: I want some quality sound in this car while leaving the functioning original radio intact. The equipment I add can't be visible. I tried the Custom Autosound SecretAudio system with hidden receiver, spare tire subwoofer and Undercover II speakers under my seats. The stealth part is covered but the equipment and sound are pure crap, over $700 later.

I'm now thinking that I can use the principles of the C.A.S. equipment but use quality components. Here are my issues:

1) Head unit. Needs to be mounted high up in my trunk safely out of sight. But how do I control it? Many good head units have RF remotes that don't need line of site to work, but do any of them have a display so I can see what's going on?

2) Amplification. I need a quality 2/3/4 channel amp with as small a footprint as possible. Or maybe a head unit with sufficient quality power.

3) Speakers. Mounting under the seats is a good idea and there's SOME clearance, so I'm considering building my own enclosures to house the driver and tweeters. I'm thinking seperates, but I need a very small mounting depth. The stock accomodations are for a single 6x9 on the back panel and 1 dash speaker, both of which I'd prefer to leave connected to the stock radio.

4) Sub. I think the amplified spare tire sub I already have is probably the best I'm going to do, merely due to space constraints.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.