Front Stage Imaging Help

I have a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon that came with the Bose factory system. I found it mediocre and have begun replacing it. The problem I am running into is something that has bothered me from day 1 with this car. The front door components are not well placed. The 6.5 is way down in the bottom corner of the door, the tweeter way up by the mirror mount. Now this would not ordinarily be a problem, but the dashboard protrudes into the car so far that I am hearing a dead spot in the sound from the passenger side. It basically makes a 12 inch wall separating the two components. Its worse from the driver's side where I get massive tweeter imaging and almost no mid-range.

I have replaced the oem deck with a Kenwood DDX470 and a metra kit and I am planning out the rest of the system. I have installed an old Kenwood component set I had laying in the garage to allow me to fiddle with the tweeter angle. This will be replace by whatever gear I eventually decide to purchase. The problem I have is, no matter what I do I cannot seem to eliminate the dead spot on the passenger side. So I had an idea, and here is where I want the communities input.

Would it be possible to install a good quality 6.5 inch coax with an adjustable tweeter in the lower door and then a tune up tweeter from the same series into the upper factory tweeter location instead of a component set? My theory being that the 6.5 coax would drive 80% of the sound stage and the tune up tweeter would be gained way back so it is only adding vertical imaging to support the coax. Both the coax and the tweeter separates would be amped.

Am I barking up a tree here? My last car was an integra that I ran full Focal Polyglass front components and rear coax and sub with Focal amps. The integra had much better speaker placement for imaging so it was a piece of cake to tune. This car, which i had to buy to replace the integra with the addition of my second child, is proving problematic.

Thanks everyone.

lose the kid and u can get the old car back! Problem solved //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Put a small midrange up high on the door panel, either with a passive 3-way system or make it an active system. To save on amplifier channel requirements the mids and tweeters could be on passives while the woofers are run active. There are coaxials with tweeters that angle upward, but it's still going to have some sound deflected by the dash. If you cut out the midrange from that woofer mounted low and forward and put it higher on the door panel I'm sure it could sound 10x better.

Yup. Your location is actually good for a midbass as you path length distances are probably fairly even, but I imagine it does have some reflections in the upper midrange. If you can get a midbass and a coax midrange and tweet that can be angled you'd be in great shape, that's what I'd look for.

I had a good look at my door today. Its one of those sculpted door panels with lots of swoopy curved surfaces. I don't see anywhere near the upper/middle of the door to locate a speaker of any decent size. Looks like this may require some construction to solve. There are more than a few 3 way kits out there. The mid range seems to vary from a 2inch silk dome to an actual 4 inch woofer. And more reasonably priced than I had expected. It sounds like this will solve my problems provided I can find a suitable location for the mid range woofer.

thanks everyone

I had a good look at my door today. Its one of those sculpted door panels with lots of swoopy curved surfaces. I don't see anywhere near the upper/middle of the door to locate a speaker of any decent size. Looks like this may require some construction to solve. There are more than a few 3 way kits out there. The mid range seems to vary from a 2inch silk dome to an actual 4 inch woofer. And more reasonably priced than I had expected. It sounds like this will solve my problems provided I can find a suitable location for the mid range woofer.
thanks everyone
Do you have some flat surfaces on your kick panels? I have 2" mid/tweeter pods that only need a few square inches of a flat surface to attach to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.