Front Speakers Randomly Cutting Out, Rears Get Muddy And Static-Filled....

Participant count
  • Participant list

1hawaii50
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
The system in my wife's car recently started acting up after about 4yrs of service. She is running a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB head unit, through a Kicker ZX650.4, into a set of MOMO 6.5 comps up front and MOMO 6x9 3-ways in the rear deck. Recently she started noticing that the sound would randomly cut out...front speakers would go silent and the rear speakers would be very muddy/static-filled...after a few minutes, the sound would come back to the front and both the front/rears would play normally. I ended up putting her stock pieces back into her car, but I'm stumped as to what the issue is/was...

I checked the voice coils on all of the speakers and they all show 3.0-3.2ohms. All of the speakers move freely, with no binding or "scratching". I checked the 4 channel RCAs (KnuKonceptz) for continuity, and they checked OK. The only thing I did find is that the MOMO woofers that were mounted low in the front doors had some corrosion. The driver's side was pretty coroded, and the passenger side was just starting to corode. Is there any way for me to test any of this stuff out of the car? Would the corrosion in the woofer cause these issues?

DSC_5770.jpg

DSC_5771.jpg

DSC_5772.jpg

I know it would have been MUCH easier to troubleshoot this with it still installed, but my wife wanted her music working and didn't want to wait for me to have time to mess with it...

You can hook speakers up to your home stereo if you have one. What do you mean by putting stock pieces back... do you still have the amp connected?

You can hook speakers up to your home stereo if you have one. What do you mean by putting stock pieces back... do you still have the amp connected?
My concern is that I may damage my home theater receiver...I do have a home stereo, so that is an option. As far as the stock pieces, I removed ALL of the aftermarket stuff and put all of the OEM stuff back in. The Kicker amp is now sitting on my dining room table...

Any home amp will handle 4 ohm speakers if you keep the power level down. You'll at least be able to tell if they're toast or not. And my gut feel is that your original problem is either the HU or amp, most likely the HU. Kind of tough to troubleshoot on the table though...

Any home amp will handle 4 ohm speakers if you keep the power level down. You'll at least be able to tell if they're toast or not. And my gut feel is that your original problem is either the HU or amp, most likely the HU. Kind of tough to troubleshoot on the table though...
I wish I would have had a couple more free days so I could have spent a little more time troubleshooting...If the issue was the amp, would it be intermittent, or a constant issue? The amp never went into protect at all...

OK, I got both sets of front comps hooked up to my home theater system, and they have been playing like champs for the last 45min...I'm going to give them a little longer, then I'm going to hook up the 6x9's....

Starting to look like it is either the amp, head unit, or RCA's....

Intermittant electronics problems can be tough to isolate. Sometimes a good strategy is to just tap on things with your fist and yank (gently) on wires.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.