Fried my new IA 6.5's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Reinhardt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Idaho
Well they did sound really good but didnt last long. I put these in my work car and I live like 10 miles from where I work so never played them for more than 20 minutes at a time. Sat. I took my car on a road trip and 45 min. into the trip I smelled a chlorine like smell and lost one speaker, a half hour later I smelled the same and lost the other. Not real happy with their speakers right now, the subs are awesome but I cant say the same for the 6.5's. I did not have them over powered, I am using a Alpine MRX-F30 to power them and it isnt bridged so that is only 50 watts RMS on a 85 watt speaker. Pretty sad, I had to put my old Kicker DS60's back in, I have ran these speakers for over a year before I got the IA's and they still work good. The Kickers have no problem handeling that power at half the price. I know there are alot of Kicker haters on here but my cheap Kickers take more power than the IA's. My first thought was maybe I just had one bad speaker till the other did the same.

Well they did sound really good but didnt last long. I put these in my work car and I live like 10 miles from where I work so never played them for more than 20 minutes at a time. Sat. I took my car on a road trip and 45 min. into the trip I smelled a chlorine like smell and lost one speaker, a half hour later I smelled the same and lost the other. Not real happy with their speakers right now, the subs are awesome but I cant say the same for the 6.5's. I did not have them over powered, I am using a Alpine MRX-F30 to power them and it isnt bridged so that is only 50 watts RMS on a 85 watt speaker. Pretty sad, I had to put my old Kicker DS60's back in, I have ran these speakers for over a year before I got the IA's and they still work good. The Kickers have no problem handeling that power at half the price. I know there are alot of Kicker haters on here but my cheap Kickers take more power than the IA's. My first thought was maybe I just had one bad speaker till the other did the same.

Where were you gains set at? Could clipping have been the issue?

Also if you bought it from incriminator (or a authorized dealer) I think you're protected under warranty if you got a bad set.

Where were you gains set at? Could clipping have been the issue?Also if you bought it from incriminator (or a authorized dealer) I think you're protected under warranty if you got a bad set.
Gains are set the same as I have them now on a set of 50watt Kicker DS60's, Its a 50 watt amp with 85 watt speakers, I ran a 100 watt amp with these Kickers for over a year without a problem. Pretty sad these cheap Kickers handle more power than the IA's. And I am a big fan of IA. I have yet to contact IA, they should be warranteed, they are less than 2 months old but to be honest I dont want another set if I have to baby them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Reinhardt

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Reinhardt
Idaho
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date