Frequency?

Beerdrnkr
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Diego
I have an MTX Thunder 1501D and was just wondering what the frequency knob actually did, I set it to where I think it sounded the best but to me it seemed like it was just making it a little louder. Also, if I run another 1501D how can I set the amps equally to match frequencies since they're not strappable?

The Frequency knob is part of the Bass Boost functionality.

Bass boost increases the gain on a small range of frequencies, the frequency knob represents the center of that range.

turn bass boost completely off and that knob will do nothing, like it should

The Frequency knob is part of the Bass Boost functionality.
Bass boost increases the gain on a small range of frequencies, the frequency knob represents the center of that range.

turn bass boost completely off and that knob will do nothing, like it should
I don't think so...

I'm pretty sure the frequency knob is the low pass cut off frequency. It essentially limits the sub to play low frequencies only. If there are numbers around the dial, try setting it to around 60-80 hz and play with it from there. Whatever sounds best to you really, which you already did.

It's either bass boost or low pass filter like you said.

I've seen quite a few amps and not one has labeled the low pass filter as frequency, it's always been the bass boost center.

My money is still on the bass boost. Either way, turning it down as low as it will go shouldn't have any negative effects, and you will know which one it is when you adjust it.

Well the amp also has an eq dial which I thought was for the purpose of the frequency it should play at but messing around with the frequency more again today it seems to let in a little vocalization into the sub, so that would be like a filter right? If I get a sealed box would that feature not even matter?

i think he has the old 1501d. i have the same one and i'd like to know also. there are 3 knobs. FREQ, EQ, GAIN. none have numbers around them.

From the sounds of it you have a low pass filter that isn't adjustable. Like i said before the EQ is going to be the amount of bass boost, and the frequency is going to be the center of the range of frequencies being boosted.

one more time...turning the frequency knob all the way down, whether or not it is bass boost or low pass filter, will not have any negative effects. Try it and listen for what it does. If the volume seems to decrease/increase when you adjust it, it is bass boost, if not, it's the low pass filter

mine has no hi/lo pass switch. it's a subwoofer mono amp. built in lo pass.

IMAGE_110.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.