Forum Policy?? Ignorance Running Knowledge????

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alaxan
5,000+ posts

Common Sense Guru
WI
Now it is just come to my attention after seeing a BUNCH of posts by one person in particular that it appears there is not much forum policy on ********. I first came to the forum to help and be helped by others with tech issues I had or with tech knowledge I have learned in the 10years I have been doing car audio. I am seeing now tho a person or two in here doing nothing but being an ass to anyone asking a legitimate question and needing or wanting help and to learn. Is it just me or is this wrong? People whom come here to ask questions come here and respectfully ask for help with a legitimate issue they do not know about. Now instead they get told by a random idiot to take it to a shop if they are having a problem or they are not worthy of learning because they may break something? I find this to be not only ignorance at its best, but more of someone simply posting to try to gain "status" here in the forum. Now the real issue is... Is there anything that can be done about it or do we have to sit and put up with these types for the sake of policy?

By the way feel free to post thoughts on the issue here. I have noticed a bunch of people glancing at it and not saying anything. Is it just me seeing this or being concerned over it or are there others whom are here for the same reasons I came in?

You're absolutely right. I recommend that most people in this forum take their stuff to a proffessional to get their gear installed. There is a lot of reasons I do this. In my 14 years in the industry I've learned two things.......... Many people don't have the correct tools to do an installation correctly. How many backyard mechanics have a panel puller? For example the correct tool for pulling a door panel isn't a flathead screw driver.........

Second, I believe that most people simply want their gear to work. Yeah it's fun to put in your own stereo. But, if you truly don't have the experience to do it you do risk breaking things. You can't deny that. Look at some of these poor guys whose posts span two and three and five days long for a simple deck install. Then there was a dude that was asking about installing his own security system. Well, installation really doesn't get much more difficult than that because the standard consumer will have a really hard time find schematics and instructions. I've been doing this a long time and all I'm saying is that some of these dudes could have saved a ton of time and effort had they simply payed someone to do their install for them.

Now to call someone a random idiot, or to call someone an ******* in an open forum like this is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

But seriously, in my postings I've never meant to be malicous or rude so if you took it that way I apologize.

I started up 10years ago doing this and yes I am aware of and own proper tools for about any and everything, but when I started I did not. I was 15years old and fixing up a car so I could have something to drive when I got my license. I used basic tools and got the whole thing done. Did I pop some fuses? Hell yeah! Did it work properly the first week I was doing it? Hell NO!! I learned tho! I studied I asked other people questions I did research and eventually I got all of the proper tools and such. I also ran competitions and such on my own installs and WON many of them throughout 95-97 in USAC. Have I ever been FORMALLY trained? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!! Yeah ok so I do have a degree in Advanced electronics, but that has only come recently. People are here to learn and because they are willing to try to do it themselves and want to be able to hold that same pride I hold in all of my own work. So slamming them because they want to do it themselves and learn? Why bother wasting your time other than to get a few more posts so you can be an official "member" of the forum?

By the way there were one or two others than yourself bean, but I know they will more than likely step up too!

I knew right away that you were talking about me. I'll back up everything I've said on this forum. I agree with you, people are here to learn, just like you and I many years ago. However, don't you think there is a small number of people on this sight that really do want the easiest, quickest answer? All I'm saying is that if there is a kid out there that just spent $500 or $1000 for a new amp. Above everything else he just wants his music to be loud. He wants to get what he paid for.

I also don't think everything you said about me (and who ever else you don't like on this forum) is entirely true........... I've helped plenty of dudes on this sight. It's just when I see a really difficult install or car or product I do recommend that they pay someone to do it.

I was not out to slam you necessarily, but it is annoying when someone wants to learn and and is asking questions that yes may be hard, but are not impossible. As for the other guys I do not recall the name straight off the bat, but I am sure they will post again soon. They got a lil more harsh than you did however. I still think if they are on here and going to ask for the help why not attempt at it? If they screw it up that is on them not you or me for helping them. It just makes little sense to; if your not going to help someone, spend time telling them to go somewhere else wrather than assist them a bit. If someone told me to go somewhere else and did not want to take the time to help who knows how much more damage I would have done. LOL **** my first head unit caught a small electrical fire in the dash.

Well I hope you weren't talking about me. I'm a beginner and I have a lot more questions than answers, but I try to help where I can.

Also, just wanted to welcome you to the boards, you seem like someone who knows what they're doing, which unfortunately is a minority group on this board.

Not saying we don't have any knowledgable people here (audiolife, ramos, zane, bigbassman, rangerman, taylor, dreamer, ss, wesleyh...I know there are others, just listin' a few names!), but we also have a lot of people who don't have a clue, and need all the help they can get.

14years in the industry? Your only 26 acording to your profile? Been in since before most kids could think of anything like car audio.... before most kids even thougth about cars?

Originally posted by ace7733 Well I hope you weren't talking about me. I'm a beginner and I have a lot more questions than answers, but I try to help where I can.

Also, just wanted to welcome you to the boards, you seem like someone who knows what they're doing, which unfortunately is a minority group on this board.

Not saying we don't have any knowledgable people here (audiolife, ramos, zane, bigbassman, rangerman, taylor, dreamer, ss, wesleyh...I know there are others, just listin' a few names!), but we also have a lot of people who don't have a clue, and need all the help they can get.
Hey thanks for the pat on the back. I have been in it for a long while and only just stumbled upon this site a week or so ago while I was researching out some issues I was having with my video set-up I am working on currently. I think the board is great and enjoy being able to help where I can. I have studied from day one long and hard even down to acoustics design and just enjoy being able to help others out and others learn. If not fomr a guy like me, as I said before, I would probably not even be involved in it and I love it too much to think what life would be without sound?! LOL

My old man used to work in a car stereo / customer home install shop. After school every day I used to be the "tool *****" and sweep up and learn what I could. To give you an idea of the caliber of people I was watching, one of the installers at the time was a guy by the name of Greg Cobbs (world record holder for SPL with his van called XMAXX). When I was 14 I started doing installs for all my buddies that had cars. So, yeah, I've been doing this for a while.

Kewl. I was just curious as I did the math there. LOL I have been prety much the same way with my knowledge base. Hanging around the local shop and learning what I can. I keep moving up and then start installing for friends and then buying tools, etc.... worked for the shop for a while then went off to bigger and better things. Now here I am prepping to invest some money into setting up my own shop in either Minneapolis area or New Orleans.

I hope I come off sounding like one the "know it alls" we've all seen on this site. My feeling is, you can't ever get any better at what you do (as a hobbiest or professional) if you aren't willing to learn new things.................

but I do wish more people would simply pay somebody to do their installs for them.............I've seen some pretty "interesting" work done to cars...LOL

interesting work hardly describes it. I have seen my share of funked up shiat! Still tho if they are willing to learn and wanting to learn I like to try to help out as much as I can. I guess it is out of boredom I have been on here so ****ed much lately. That and waiting for my components to come in so I can play again soon!

No comment... I'm ignorant... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Where in MN you located? I'm in Morris...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.