Focal K2P Comps versus Focal Utopia's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trancer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Allen, Texas
So I have both the Utopia's and the K2P's.

Currently I have the Utopia's in the front and the K2P's in the rear of my truck.

Im getting alot of midrange out of my Utopia's, but very little midbass. Should I switch them around?

And please, no comments about how I dont need refill. I dont want to hear it. I have a large crew cab pickup and I ran just a front stage by itself and when I added the rear fill, it improved my sound, mainly for my rear passengers. I will be running a very strong sub stage in the rear of my truck so I dont want it to drown out the front stage for my rear passengers like it has in the past.

Do the K2P's have more midbass? Will I lose that midrange with the K2P's if I were to put them in the front?

These arent the newest versions of the Utopia's or the K2P's. These are the slightly older version and I really enjoy the sound out of these. Im just lacking the midbass, like the Focal's are known for, besides the lowest end; Focal Access 165A's. Those things packed quite a bit of midbass, they just couldnt take the power I was sending them to get the volume I wanted to the mids blew. I wish I could take what the Utopia's midrange sound and throw in the midbass that the Access mids had.

I'm assuming with speakers that high dollar, your doors are already sealed and deadened correctly....

From, my experience with Focal speakers, they aren't really midbass monsters. They are more about the midrange performance with a nice smooth midbass response. That's just Focal speakers. If I were, you I probably won't swap the Utopias and K2ps. I'd definitely keep the better set up front and maybe do some EQ work or try different midbass enclosures to get better midbass performance from what you already have up front. You don't need overwhelming midbass, it just needs to blend well with the subs.

Yes, I do have all four doors deadened very well and have all holes sealed up.

I was thinking the same thing, just didnt know if there would be any huge differences. I know alot of people love the K2P's so I didnt know if they trumped over the K2P's. I purchased a new 4 channel amp that has a bass frequency boost so once I get it installed, I will play with that a bit. Maybe this new amp will help that out.

They are passive. I dont currently have them hooked up as I have my entire stereo ripped out as I am redoing my entire stereo system. I even have my back seats taken out, rear carpet ripped up, will be raising my rear seats 3" with T6 Aluminum square tubing, doing an amp rack on the back wall, Dynamatting the rear wall, building a new fiberglass/wood box for 4 SA-8's once I sell my BNIB TC Sounds LMS-R 12's, etc...

They are passive. I dont currently have them hooked up as I have my entire stereo ripped out as I am redoing my entire stereo system. I even have my back seats taken out, rear carpet ripped up, will be raising my rear seats 3" with T6 Aluminum square tubing, doing an amp rack on the back wall, Dynamatting the rear wall, building a new fiberglass/wood box for 4 SA-8's once I sell my BNIB TC Sounds LMS-R 12's, etc...
AH. Well, first of all make sure they are in phase. If they are then move on to level matching. Since if you're using passives it's tougher, you can't just crank the midbass speakers up, instead you'll have to use EQ to get it sounding the way you want.

Of course. Once I get my new equipment installed then I will see where I am at. Hopefully with this new amp and all of the new neat functions it has, I will get that sound I am after.

This sounds like its going to be a very nice SQL setup man. I loved my SA-8s when I had them and Focal Utopias and K2Ps are very nice speakers. Thats one setup I'd love to hear when its done.

I think once you get it all in there and do some tweaking, your midbass will turn out just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.