Focal 165KRX2 vs Hertz MLK165 vs DLS Iridium 6.2

joms
10+ year member

Given the ff:

- Tweeter installed in A-pillar

- Vehicle is Hyundai Santa Fe (SUV)

- HU is Alpine 505 + H701

- Amp is JL HD900/5 (4x100w rms + 1x500w rms)

- Subs is JL 13TW5 (sealed)

- 2 layers Dynamat Xtreme deadening on doors

Can you rank Focal 165KRX2, Hertz MLK165, DLS Iridium 6.2 (all 2-way seps) if your priority is: (Driven active with 100w x 4 rms)

a) SQ

b) SQL (Loud and Clear)

I haven't heard the MLK's but between the other two, the Hertz tweeter is more detailed and defined/crisp. The DLS is a bit more forgiving and a tad smoother.

I like the mid bass of the Focal over the DLS. The Focal is bit more punch/forward.

You might want to take the Focal tweets off axis and/or dial them -3db.

I have Focal 165KF in my car with them -3db.

Having said this both are very good sets. The DLS are bit more neutral sounding. It depends on how you like your music. Both sets can get loud and can handle the power.

As I drive a convertable I like a crisper tweeter to off set the road noise. As you drive an SUV I might suggest the DLS.

i doubt many people have listened to all 3, all are great speakers, if your running active you have enough settings to get them all to sound really good if you know what your doing

Im based toward Hertz, sold it at the shop and never had one problem with them, they sound great to me, i have MLK2's in my car and love them

ive owned the hertz and the focals. i was running them passive so im not sure how much help i'll be. I loved both of them in their own way. The hertz had a more warm sound to them. lots of authority down low and the tweets were really easy to listen to. The focals however had a more natural sound to them. They were crisper but not harsh. The mids were not as friendly to the low notes as the hertz but they handled them nicely. If I were going to purchase one of them again, i would probably buy the focals.

the focals and dls' are polar opposites. depends whether you want something up front and punchy, or laid back and smooth/warm

i owned a set of iridiums. they were built very well. bought them from a dealer on the forums and got a great price. when a friend dropped one of the drivers, he took care of me.

Hertz MLK. I have heard the Focal and Hertz. The Hertz mid driver is just on another level, you need to hear them. I also prefer the Hertz Tweeter. The Focal are no bad but you really need to go listen and decide which sound you prefer.

personally if your going active Id suggest the HAT L6 with the helix RS 801 soft dome tweeter... than again you might not like a transparant sound.. i have the CDT DRT tweeters which are very nice and the ES6 midrange and the HAT/helix is a noticablly better set.. its going to simply blow you away.. BTW with that amp yoou will have enought power to hurt your ears..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.