Fixing broken tinsel leads

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
Title says it all. I broke a tinsel lead on the neo Beehive sub I'm running. It broke about 1/4 inch away from the solder joint at the terminal. I went ahead and re-soldered it and it's playing again for now.

What are my options for a permanent fix without a recone? I've seen some subs use direct 12ga wire from the coil, could I just cut a length of 12ga and solder one end to the tinsel by the coil and the other to the terminal?

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 22, 2019
ND
Title says it all. I broke a tinsel lead on the neo Beehive sub I'm running. It broke about 1/4 inch away from the solder joint at the terminal. I went ahead and re-soldered it and it's playing again for now.

What are my options for a permanent fix without a recone? I've seen some subs use direct 12ga wire from the coil, could I just cut a length of 12ga and solder one end to the tinsel by the coil and the other to the terminal?
I don't see why that wouldn't work. The tricky part will be making sure it is secure enough so it doesn't rattle but loose enough so that it doesn't affect the cone's linear movement.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see why that wouldn't work. The tricky part will be making sure it is secure enough so it doesn't rattle but loose enough so that it doesn't affect the cone's linear movement.
Yea, the issue Is this top assembly was built with floating leads and its capable of somewhere around 2.5" peak to peak or more. Woven leads would have prevented this problem entirely...

I may grab some 12 GA and see if I can make it work better. But until then I'm going to see how much I can throw at it before the lead snaps again

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 22, 2019
ND
Yea, the issue Is this top assembly was built with floating leads and its capable of somewhere around 2.5" peak to peak or more. Woven leads would have prevented this problem entirely...

I may grab some 12 GA and see if I can make it work better. But until then I'm going to see how much I can throw at it before the lead snaps again
I've done it with good results on cheaper speakers. If the ideal fix is a recone, what do you have to lose?

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
5,000+ posts
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
there's a reason why they use tinsel leads. 12 gauge is too thick, heavy and stiff by comparison, the solder point will break off pretty fast.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
could I just cut a length of 12ga
I've bought SPL subs that used 8 gauge direct to the coil lead in place of tinsel, this will function for burps but playing music the wire will fail and possibly light the insulation on fire when enough strands break. I'd have higher hopes of a crimp connector lasting longer than speaker wire... if you can get some crimpers in there.

Really anything short of replacing the tinsel from the terminal to the coil lead will fail and pretty quickly. Can you get to the coil lead somehow? Tinsel is cheap enough and soldering to the terminal should be fairly easy but getting some bare wire at the coil lead may be tricky depending how the sub is built. If you can get some of the lead exposed to solder on the new tinsel be sure to bury that spot in CA glue after you confirm your connection.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alright, I have been playing the sub since I fixed it and it has stopped working again. I'm going to see if I can get the dust cap off to get access to the coil leads hopefully tonight. If I can I'll order some tinsel lead and try to re do the leads at the coil. If I can't get the cap off I'm still going to order some tinsel lead and will end up replacing the leads as close to the former as I can so I can reinforce it with CA. If it fails again, I guess I'll pull it apart and start looking for parts to build a 15.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds