Fixing Broken Car Amps

ok, i have a few un-asked questions for you........ what is your work area like (pics would be nice) and how do you handle the equipment? i noticed all your pics are staged on the livingroom furnature, which makes me a tad un-easy. i used to work a bit on amps, and still do here and there, but over the past 8years or so, there seems to be a lot more dust-collecting storage, then working on them......yadda-yadda- long story short, i have a family of my "girls" that i'm looking to have fixed for me over a period of time, like a year or so, and, for the most part, it consists of cold-weather discharges (exploded caps, that shorted on start-up) simply "stopped working" at high volume, and other unknown "broken" but one i really want to know about is a kicker isx2302 (2000-2002?) what the deal with it, is that it's mostly still functional, but the fuse holders caught fire from arcing (i got it with heat damage already from tin-foil wrapped fuese installed, lol) it was actually still powering a 15 when i shut it off and disconnected because i smelled the burning. i snapped some pics. the board is burned, and so are the little caps/resistors at the speaker terminals. so, it needs the board repaired, new terminals and fuse holders, and new side piece, which is the same one used on several different amps of the period, like directed, viper, etc.... maybe more, but i really want to know about that portion of the repair (price and ability) i'm going to attach some pics here..also, next on the list is my 600d (matches the 1100d's in the pic) caps shorted it after cold-discharge(wife left it on and drained the battery in the winter, and it squeeled and fizzled when i turned it on a week later. price, there, too.... i'm not in a tremendous hurry to get them fixed, but 1 month would be nice.

WP_000039.jpg
WP_000040.jpg
WP_000041.jpg
WP_000042.jpg

.....one last thing- do you do home recievers(mostly vintage) i have a collection of those, too

woot post #100

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get some pics up later. When i recieve an amp i open it up and go thru the entire amp to see whats wrong with it I then send you and email and tell you the price and whats all wrong with it. All amps are stored on shelfs from the time they get here to the time they leave. The reason behind the amps sitting on a couch is because i took pics of them just before i sent them out and i had an amp up on my bench working on it at the time. I DO NOT fix amps on the couch nor kitchen table They all get fixed on my bench. And my bench is set up in a room no one has access to besides me. I cannot give you a dollar amount on the kicker until i see it in person and see how bad the damage is to the board If it fried the board badly then the board could be conductive and then thats a whole differnt story. As far as the directed goes It should be a simple fix and shouldnt be that much to repair.

Mike i wont need to grill you as i have read threads on here dating back a couple years and you are legit no doubt. I was wondering if you have any idea of shipping cost from florida to where you are ? in michigan correct?

also wanted to mention as im sure you have heard just about every problem an amp can have.

The shop that installed mine about 18 months ago cant find the problem but have determined its in the amp for sure of course they just wana replace it. What it does is i will be playing music going down the road everything wil b fine then all of a sudden it will start humming real loud then it will go away sometimes it happens for a few seconds and other times it wont stop. sometimes if i hit a a bumpy road or tap the amp it will start or stop humming. sometimes its on when i turn on the system sometimes not, sometimes it will stop when i shut down the system and turn back on sometimes it doesnt stop when i shut it off and turn back on. theres no real consistency of when the humming noise comes in and out . your thoughts?

Chew sounds like theres a broken solder connection inside the amp or a defective Gain pot or broken rca shield could be a few different things but not to bad to fix.

INBOX CLEAR

I got a Memphis 16-MC2004 that needs repair, The amp blew 3 power supply fets upon hooking it up to power with out even turning on. If you want to take it on let me know and PM me your addy and I'll get it sent down to you.

Thanks Mike

-shin

Any interest in buying broken amps? I have a U.S. Amps 5500x Xterminator 5-channel that has been sitting around for about a year and a half that I wouldn't mind unloading.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.