Five or six inches of excursion?

Nobody has any opinions?
It doesn't show anything but the cone of the sub - I saw no discussion of the actual technology in the video. How does it work, where does the extra excursion come from, what mechanical advantages does this 'cutting edge technology' have over our current designs?

Not many motors could handle that kind of excursion on the back end of that stroke without bottoming out. It'd take a special basket for any speaker that wanted to have that kind of excursion, driving costs up alot. It can be done though, the parthenon back in the early 2000's designed by Dan Wiggins had over 80mm of excursion capabilites, but nobody would pony up the cash to have him build one lol. $5,000+ IIRC. You could pick your cone size. It was a dipole driver so no box needed, cone could be up to a 48x48inch square. That's a single driver with the surface area of 9 18's, moving 2x-3x as far as any 18 is currently capable. Even without a box, the dipole loss was minimal and you still at over 120db without any gain whatesoever down to 10hz. In a home, probably closer to 5hz and over 125.. Sickening. (realize a car adds around 30db+ at those kinds of frequencies so we are talking about a single speaker doing a 150-160db at less than 20hz NOT on a burp if it was in a car)

I'd really have to audition one of those subs in a box, with music playing, in person before I could make a sound judgement. But... the mere fact that none of those videos show one of those woofers in a box playing music tells us a lot. It looks cool in free air but on the descending slope tone it also looks like it's unloading pretty bad toward the end.

My thoughts initially are that these things don't perform well on music and if they do, they'd just about have to be dedicated to very low frequencies only. I'm not saying it can't work but I am saying that nothing they've offered leads me to believe this is anything more than a novelty product with no practical use.

In the end, loudspeaker manufacturers (like any other manufacturer) have pretty much reached the "sweet spot" between performance and economics with what we have today. Sure, you can have more excursion but to get it the cost rises much more quickly than performance. Especially when you consider the amount of headroom an amplifier needs to keep tabs on that much movement.

But hey, ten years from now two inches of xmax might be considered child's play...

Not many motors could handle that kind of excursion on the back end of that stroke without bottoming out. It'd take a special basket for any speaker that wanted to have that kind of excursion, driving costs up alot. It can be done though, the parthenon back in the early 2000's designed by Dan Wiggins had over 80mm of excursion capabilites, but nobody would pony up the cash to have him build one lol. $5,000+ IIRC. You could pick your cone size. It was a dipole driver so no box needed, cone could be up to a 48x48inch square. That's a single driver with the surface area of 9 18's, moving 2x-3x as far as any 18 is currently capable. Even without a box, the dipole loss was minimal and you still at over 120db without any gain whatesoever down to 10hz. In a home, probably closer to 5hz and over 125.. Sickening. (realize a car adds around 30db+ at those kinds of frequencies so we are talking about a single speaker doing a 150-160db at less than 20hz NOT on a burp if it was in a car)
I just want to see one of those installed.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

trading off cone area for a double surround, not sure what to think of that.
Similar to what you think of the new Sundown?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.