First time. Help please

Participant count
  • Participant list

zbone1
10+ year member

Missouri
hey guys this is kind of my first time wiring my own entire system. I have messed with existing cables before, but I kind of want to do it correct this time. I'll tell you what I'm working with so somebody will know how to wire this correctly.

Right now I just have a normal car started battery from wal mart, it won't cut the job for the amps I am wanting to install. So I have purchased an optima yellow top d34/78. I purchased a Stinger SGP32 200 amp isolator. I also have a 2 farad capacitor. My amps are a jbl 1201.1 and a fosgate 400.4. The Fosgate is for my kicker speakers and the jbl is for kicker subs. Everyone I have talked to recommends 0 gauge for what I have. It's only about 1600 watts of rms power so I think I could pass with 0-2 gauge. Anyways I am wanting to know how to wire this up... Will I get shocked doing this? I know not to hold on to the power and touch something metal, but I would really like to save the installation money.

From what I understand it would go something like this.

Main car battery

Battery --- fuse --- isolator-----fuse---battery---fuse---cap---amps

My questions are;

Do I need to have 3 fuses and if so, do they all need to match the isolators 200amp fuse?

Is it safe for the yellow top battery to be mounted in the trunk?

Which areas do I need to ground to the chassis? Each battery goes to the chassis, or does the isolator and cap go to chassis as well?

I appreciate the help and I know you guys know what you're doing... I just don't want to die installing some amps...

Also, is there a special way to install the cap? Or can I just hook up the ground and power and it works, or should I eliminate the cap... I have it for voltage drop.

The car were working with is a 2002 dodge intrepid se 2.7L with only a 130amp alternator.

hey guys this is kind of my first time wiring my own entire system. I have messed with existing cables before, but I kind of want to do it correct this time. I'll tell you what I'm working with so somebody will know how to wire this correctly.Right now I just have a normal car started battery from wal mart, it won't cut the job for the amps I am wanting to install. So I have purchased an optima yellow top d34/78. I purchased a Stinger SGP32 200 amp isolator. I also have a 2 farad capacitor. My amps are a jbl 1201.1 and a fosgate 400.4. The Fosgate is for my kicker speakers and the jbl is for kicker subs. Everyone I have talked to recommends 0 gauge for what I have. It's only about 1600 watts of rms power so I think I could pass with 0-2 gauge. Anyways I am wanting to know how to wire this up... Will I get shocked doing this? I know not to hold on to the power and touch something metal, but I would really like to save the installation money.

From what I understand it would go something like this.

Main car battery

Battery --- fuse --- isolator-----fuse---battery---fuse---cap---amps

My questions are;

Do I need to have 3 fuses and if so, do they all need to match the isolators 200amp fuse?

Is it safe for the yellow top battery to be mounted in the trunk?

Which areas do I need to ground to the chassis? Each battery goes to the chassis, or does the isolator and cap go to chassis as well?

I appreciate the help and I know you guys know what you're doing... I just don't want to die installing some amps...

Also, is there a special way to install the cap? Or can I just hook up the ground and power and it works, or should I eliminate the cap... I have it for voltage drop.

The car were working with is a 2002 dodge intrepid se 2.7L with only a 130amp alternator.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search2.gif.b407e3685eef133dbce7cac8ad3982c7.gif

Proper way to handle a capacitor is like a live grenade, open the nearest window and pitch it as far as you can.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.