first fiberglass project

red85toy

Texas
projects on the truck have been limited because of:

lack of time

lack of money

it is my daily driver

3 month old twins

I had some 12 year old speakers laying around (pioneer 3way 6"x9") and I thought it would be fun to mount them in the truck. So I bought some fiberglass & resin, waited until Michelle and the kids were asleep, and got started.

About 95% of the work was done in the mornings from 12:00am to 1:30am.

I plan to add SecondSkin to truck and cover up the mounting bolts...

Full write up is located here:

http://www.crazypetersons.com/Truck/Tech/speakers.htm

now on to the pics:

01emptytruck.jpg

02tape_foil.jpg

03first_layer.jpg

04speakerrings.jpg

05glue.jpg

06fiberglass_shell.jpg

07ring_shell.jpg

08support.jpg

09support.jpg

10moreadded.jpg

Not bad my man not bad at all . Did you use any mat over the fleece ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did about 3 layers of Mat on top of the fabric.

Then I added some Duraglass because i got the can for free and wanted to try it. It doesn't spread very easy, I probably won't use it again.

do you need mat on there for speaker pods?
I usually do a layer or so of 3oz just to be on the safe side. More for the durability of the pod than anything. ***** to go through all of the work , to have some one accidentally put a hole in them. or crack the finish by flexing the pod itself:)

I did about 3 layers of Mat on top of the fabric.Then I added some Duraglass because i got the can for free and wanted to try it. It doesn't spread very easy, I probably won't use it again.

Very good , overkill never hurts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Trying warming the duraglass up some before you use it. Fill a bucket or the sink with some hot water. Then set the can of duraglass ( lid still on ) in it for a few minutes . It helps loosen it up some, and makes spreading it a little easier //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

how could I clean up the wiring?

I welded small metal tabs to zip tie the cables to the wall. I really don't know a good way to run the cables. Any suggestions would be helpful!

The guy has blue seats in a red truck. I really don't think he's that worried about wiring.

But seriously the only thing you could do is either glue some carpet over the wall and hide the wires behind it, mount the amp under the seat if there is enough room or build a amp rack.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.