First Box, Not Satisfied w/ the Sound - Design Flawed?

anger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Vehicle : 2004 F150 Crew Cab

Location in the vehicle: Center Console - Between front seats

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 34" x 14" x 16"

Subwoofer make and model: Rockford Fosgate P3D4 (x2)

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 2

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Sealed

What type of music do you like?: Metal & Hip Hop

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Both?

Tuning Freq (Hz): n/a

Volume : approx 2 cu ft

Questions:

Hey Community, I'll try and keep this short.

I recently purchased a couple RF P3D4 12's, they came in a prefab vented enclosure and sounded OK but I felt I was missing some of that 'snappy', tight bass. So I decided to build a sealed center console enclosure with the drivers firing downward and I'm not too thrilled with the sound I'm getting. Now I feel like I'm missing some of that BOOM...and they just sound underwhelming. So, to my questions.

Is this just to be expected with a sealed enclosure?

Box has an odd internal shape (see pic), could this be causing issues?

Subs are sharing airspace, could this be a problem?

Polyfil lined walls a problem?

Would it make sense to have one ported and one sealed?

Thanks in advance for any insight..and let me know if more info is needed.

View attachment 26547057View attachment 26547058View attachment 26547059

I think that box is a little big for those woofers to be sealed. The boom that you are missing is probably because they are sealed, if they were in a ported enclosure you'd have that boom back. As much as you probably dont want to, I'd rebuild and do a custom ported box.

Ya, already planning on building another box but want to get some input here to see what I can do differently or if I did something wrong. Pretty sure RF suggests 1 cu ft per sub for sealed enclosures with the P3. Do you see the box within the box (for the cup holders) causing any problems? Dunno if there should be a consistent shape behind each driver...or if that even makes a difference.

I remember seeing a SUV with 2 12's sealed tad over a cube each pulling over a 140 on a term lol. 2 bazooka subs, chill kit with a big pioneer amp. Wonder if you made the box chamber instead of shared if that would help out ? trial & error my friend.

that enclosure is small for those subs. add some poly fill. for all those saying build ported that sub has an EBP of less than 50 meaning it'll produce better sound in a sealed enclosure. since the EBP is in the 40s it'll still work in a ported enclosure. the recommended enclosure is the minimum volume.

Hey op shoot me your email address, I just got done building a ported box for 1 sd 10 in my 05 supercrew and its pretty darn loud for what it is. I have a sketch up file here to send u that might give you some ideas.

Hey op shoot me your email address, I just got done building a ported box for 1 sd 10 in my 05 supercrew and its pretty darn loud for what it is. I have a sketch up file here to send u that might give you some ideas.
pm'd.

separate the chambers. pollyfill is just used to make the subs think that have more air space then they do. I wouldnt do one sealed on ported......from what i have heard it cause cancellations. I personally think ported is the way to go. you get more output spl on less power. i have always noticed a huge difference between the two as far as spl.

Ok, so assuming I go sealed again with separate chambers, how crucial is it that each sub's interior space is the same shape? (I'd imagine interior volume should be equal?) Wondering if I need to ditch the cup holders, or build them outside of the enclosure.

And if recommended volume is the minimum, is there a general rule of how big/much is too much? Or is it just like MrFoca said..trial n error?

And thanks, everyone, for the input.

Is this the box you sent me?
Yes it is, I test fit it in the truck tonight and ran some test tones through it from 29hz to 60hz on 1k. The results of the test were as follows: "ZACH YOU ARE 30 YEARS OLD, THAT IS EMBARRASSING, TURN THAT DOWN!" I was in the garage and she was on the other side of the house lol.

Yes it is, I test fit it in the truck tonight and ran some test tones through it from 29hz to 60hz on 1k. The results of the test were as follows: "ZACH YOU ARE 30 YEARS OLD, THAT IS EMBARRASSING, TURN THAT DOWN!" I was in the garage and she was on the other side of the house lol.
LMAO, so I'm assuming it passed the test?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.