Finished install w/ photo

I used fiberglass to reenforce the thin corners and resin to water proof/reenforce the rest of the box. I had a surplus of resin and no lacker :) With resin when you sand down the clumps it turns white... It's no big deal because it's going to be hidden soon. I used 1inch all around. I got a good deal on the 1inch sheets of MDF. At the local home depot it is 24 bucks for 3/4ths inch and 28 bucks for 1 inch. The only thing that ***** about using the thicker wood is the added weight. I knew I'd have some tight corners so I used the thicker wood so they'd be stronger. The thing about mdf though is it's basicly just a shitload of paper glued together so it's insanely easy to split/break. However, it has a lot of strength when it's not close to the edges... Reenforcing some of the edges with fiberglass helpt a lot and with resin all around I had a ton of extra strength and was able to use those fatter brass screws without having the wood split. I bought some thinner #10 stainless steal screws and they kept breaking so I used thicker brass ones because brass bends before it breaks. Anyways, I think it's because of the angle the subs are in but it has an insane amount of uneven weight on the top screws.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

clarity413

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
clarity413
Bakersfield, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date