Fiber glass sub box

Participant count
  • Participant list

slaphappy
10+ year member

I've got a single 12" eclipse titanium sub that I want to put in the back of my hatchback. Only one because I want to keep some space. I've never built a box before. I'm pretty sure I could figure out the volume for a regular ol' square box and build it out of MDF but I don't want that. I want something that will look like it belongs in my car. I have a basic idea of what I want it to look like but have no idea how to figure volume out for an odd shaped box and then apply it to the construction. I've looked at quite a bit of info on glass construction so I have a basic idea on what to do.

Part of the box will definately be MDF but the front will be glass. How do I figure the volume out ? How do I run the glass into the wood and make it hold so it's smooth and strong? And, how do I make a brace to hold the wooden circle that will eventualy hold the sub? This is my first time building, any help or guidance woud be greatly appreciated.

I could have a pro do it but I think the rewards would be much greater if I did it myself.

Eclipse 8051 head

Xtant X604 running 2 pairs Boston Acoustic proseries 6.5 comps

Xtant X1001 will be running eclipse titanium

In a 2000 VW GTI

Originally posted by slaphappy I've got a single 12" eclipse titanium sub that I want to put in the back of my hatchback. Only one because I want to keep some space. I've never built a box before. I'm pretty sure I could figure out the volume for a regular ol' square box and build it out of MDF but I don't want that. I want something that will look like it belongs in my car. I have a basic idea of what I want it to look like but have no idea how to figure volume out for an odd shaped box and then apply it to the construction. I've looked at quite a bit of info on glass construction so I have a basic idea on what to do.

Part of the box will definately be MDF but the front will be glass. How do I figure the volume out ?

no real way till after the box is done that i can think of....

How do I run the glass into the wood and make it hold so it's smooth and strong?

use fleece(sweatshirt material) and stretch it over the mdf and apply resin....it should bond w/ the mdf....after that you'll want to sand and bondo the surface smooth then you can use high build poly primer and sand it smooth then paint...or you could apply vinyl or carpet instead of paint

And, how do I make a brace to hold the wooden circle that will eventualy hold the sub?

just use dowel rods or somthing similar and hot glue them to the ring to hold it in place....

This is my first time building, any help or guidance woud be greatly appreciated.

I could have a pro do it but I think the rewards would be much greater if I did it myself.

Eclipse 8051 head

Xtant X604 running 2 pairs Boston Acoustic proseries 6.5 comps

Xtant X1001 will be running eclipse titanium

In a 2000 VW GTI

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.