Fi SSD vs. Fi Q

brad02420
10+ year member

Hello, new to the forum and new to car audio. I am getting ready to put a system in my 2000 Eclipse. I am stuck between the Fi SSD and Fi Q. It would be a single 12" powered by a Kicker ZX1000.1. Most likely ported box I guess?

Could someone help explain the difference between the 2? Maybe someone that has experience with both? All I could fine is post dating back 4-5 years and they didnt give much detail. I know the Q is suppose to sound better but I was looking for alittle more detail than that. Thanks

Owned both in a 2.1 cu ft box tuned to 30 hz. Ssd kept up with the q on all notes except the low lows MAYBE, could've been placebo effect. This was off 800 watts, so if you have 1000 I'd go with the q

why are you stuck with those two?
Thats just the 2 I've narrowed it down to I guess but I'm open to suggestions. Originally I was looking at a L7...but from what I have read they sound like ****. Those 2 Fi's seem to fit the bill of sounding really good, getting loud and decent prices. Plus the fact they are hand built in Vegas and not massed produced in China is a plus.

FI is going to start making all their motors NEO,so it will all change. They don't even sell the old SSD's anymore.
Yeah the SSD's are suppose to be back up in 4 weeks.

Owned both in a 2.1 cu ft box tuned to 30 hz. Ssd kept up with the q on all notes except the low lows MAYBE, could've been placebo effect. This was off 800 watts, so if you have 1000 I'd go with the q
So the Q's got just as loud as the SSD's? I think I read somewhere the Q's dont get as loud but they handle more rms...?

Where they both "loaded"?

No both stock. Hardly an audible difference, but to be safe I'd get a q if you're running 1000 watts. I'm sure the sad can take it but why push it, you never know. Q is definitely as loud as the ssd, louder sub-35hz or so

I've owned a 15" ssd and heard a 15" Q. No difference IMO. Fi says the q is for sq yet when I asked how it was considered sq he said idk what u mean. He said it was just a standard motor. Don't get me wrong it sounds good and digs low but it's just another loud subthat sounds good. Nothing more nothing less.

Iirc the Q has more moving mass, lower fs, higher bl and 7 mm more Xmax which is a fair amount more than the ssd. Definitely more potential for a flatter response, and can be upgraded to take around 1300 watts safely, but most likely the install is about 20x more important than choosing between these two.

ya personally i would go icon if ur more interested in SQ, just because ive emailed both companies and ssa went into way more detail of how they achieve SQ and loudness, where like i said FI was confused and said its a standard motor, built to take gobs of power so retards dont blow it

You cant go wrong with either choice. I chose the Q and am extremely happy with it and do not see myself buying anything different anytime soon.

Heard a pair of SSD 18's, they sound great! Guy was running the pair off a Soundstream Rubicon 2500, so 1250wrms to each...He runs them for hours at full tilt no problem. I think that the SSD's would be your better move, or SSA Icons.

Also, the SSD's go super low...They move a ton of air at 13hz! Not much below that. Understand that their limitation is the box, which was built well but is a little too peaky for his taste (needs more port if I remember right). I believe he has them in 4 cubes each chamber, ported and tuned at 28hz. The Q's may go lower, but that's not to say that the SSD's don't go low...

Either way, you cannot go wrong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.