Feels like Dejavu!

trimegatron
10+ year member

Hey guys, checking in! I guess I'm a newb. But, I've got 1400 posts on bimmerforums.com - it looks like they use the same engine to power the site so it feels like I've been here before. And, yes I will search before asking questions.

My car audio setup is more for moderate volumes but falls a little flat when played excessively. I don't want to way down the M3 (500HP tends to compensate for those extra pounds though)!

Here is my setup:

Two year old Alpine higher end Unit: Paid ~1000 for it (has the touch slider to change stations - ssucks!) It has already broke, and to navigate thru the menu's is BS.

JL ZR 5 1/4s in the kicks

JL stealth boxs in the rear deck 8" x 2

JL 600watt 4 ohm mono block amp

50x4 @ 4 ohms Orion amp - - soon to be replaced by a higher powered boston.

So, I'll get to it.

I want to build pods to attach to my doors (e36 M3). I'm looking to save a little money and buy one of the JL XR series 6.5s. The ZR series that I already own have a very true sound without adding their own properties + the tweeter isn't over active. They remind me of some high end Boston seperates I've owned.

Can I add a lower end speaker to handle lower frequencies in the front - and possibly 1)not use the tweeter or 2) turn down the gain on the tweeter?

I only mention using another JL set as I want them to compliment my current set. If you can recommend something cost effective I'm all ears. Especially if it is a

6.5" mid-base

These will be used in conjunction with the new sub amp and 10 or 12 I'm going to mount in an enclosure attached to my rear deck (in between my stealth boxes)

In the past I've had: Boston seperates, MB Quartz seperates, Kenwood, Infiniti Kappa & Reference seperates, Pioneer (poles), JBLs and there has to have been more over the years but that's all I can think of.

Whew that was long.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Thanks!

it was so long i almost passed out looking at it so i didnt read but all can say //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif

it was so long i almost passed out looking at it so i didnt read but all can say //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif
So Mr. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif You must have missed the part where I said I'll search.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. And, I already did.

EDIT: you're right it was very long

ok yea that was way too unorganized and long, summarize it with points and a final statement of what you want that is less than 5 sentences long lol.

but may i ask, why JL?

ok yea that was way too unorganized and long, summarize it with points and a final statement of what you want that is less than 5 sentences long lol.
but may i ask, why JL?
Yes, I know. Should have wrote it up as two posts.

I used to be into car stereo. Now I'm into track cars. So, one day i had a wild hair and went into Tweeter, dropped about 3200 (I seriously over-paid ) and boom I had a system to replace my harmon kardon system.

JL wasn't anything that I had ever listened to before. I told the sales guy my listening style and he set it up. I would pay more attention to the spring put into my racing head rather than the type of wiring or amps I bought :dunno It's just not my passion any longer. I still love the music and the components, but I just want it to work. Not tinkering with my motor...

the stealth box's will work great for his car ( and not be just a big box sitting in the trunk) and sound great. the JL amp is solid and will do the job, so why not JL.

but you might wana look in to some other speakers.

i wana see some nekkid pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

This was my ride stock. It seems like I can only post one pic, forum rules I'm sure until I get more posts.. Here are some of the specs.

I looked for a thread on bimmerforums that had pics of my car. I had to take them down for space. This is from about six months ago (parts wise, there have been quite a few significant changes - the cams / head work/ gauges, body work and I've replaced all of the seals and rubber on the car)

Enjoy!

Active Auto C-38 Stage II (kit stock makes: 457HP)

Shrick Intake Plenum

m5 clutch

UUC clutch line

UUC flywheel

UUC tranny mounts

UUC Evo III SS

CAI

Stromung Exhaust

Konis

H&R Race Springs

poly LCABs

drilled rotors (soon to be replaced with a BBK)

18" ultralegerras (black)

alpine Head/ amps / JL stealth boxes

VAC Racing Ported and polished head, balanced oversized valves & springs, re-decked & ARP fasteners

Shrick Cams

That doesn't seem like everything. That's a pretty short list for what feels like the biggest money pit I've ever been involved in!

I probably spent close to 15K over the past year in maintenance and parts (aside from the electronics) The car runs so sweet.

I've had it since it had 20K on it. Now it has 107K. I've slowly put some of the parts on it over the years but really started getting into it recently.

the stealth box's will work great for his car ( and not be just a big box sitting in the trunk) and sound great. the JL amp is solid and will do the job, so why not JL.
but you might wana look in to some other speakers.
I'm your putty - let me know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

trimegatron

10+ year member
trimegatron
Huntsvegas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from