FatMat, Whats Teh DealZ?

Astyl
10+ year member

Car Audio Enthusiast
Bedford, NH
Ok so today i purchased a 50sqft bulk pack of Fatmat because it got pretty decent reviews and its dirt cheap, and i just wanted something to seal my trunk up with, nothing too fancy, so i place the order and then i start looking around and everyones like, mang fatmat has shipping issues, it took me a month to get my stuff, etc etc yada yada and everyones like they ship sooooo slow and it takes a really long time for you to get your products

So then i was like meh screw that, ill just call them up and cancel my order and spend the extra on eDead or something so i know what im getting myself into.. so then i go to call there number they have listed and its mysteriously out of service, it just seems like a really sketchy situation and im now kinda paranoid about getting ripped off by them or that it will take 6 months for me to get my product

anyone else does business with them, whats the deal? the whole fake phone number kinda got me

im gonna piss on your parade some more, fatmat *****...the longest it ever stuck to my car for about 28 days...3 layers of it just came off one at a time...i tried several different methods of applying, i tried to stick it out since i bought so much of it, but nothing would keep it on...no thanks...but good luck, many claim to have success...

i sent them an email thing about canceling my order, hopefully THAT works and they get that and everything works out great

probobly gonna get some eDead V1SE instead

The only issue I've had with the FatMat was the shipping. I was at the point where if it didn't come in the next 3 days I was going to do an Ebay claim. 3 days before that I sent them an email on ebay saying I will take action if I don't get a response or my product, it was here 3 days later. It's easy to work with and it makes my brothers truck sound very good. Was kinda hard to keep on the inside roof of the truck I think because we are in Texas and his truck is black. But the spot that it did come off on was the only spot we didn't clean before putting it on. For the price I say go for it just don't expect it next week.

its gonna take a month... thats just fatmat... its decent stuff most people just like bashing it and pointing out worthless tests...
Worthless tests aside //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, I'd really like to know what makes it decent stuff? I'd also like to know a single aspect in which it differs from Peel & Seal.

Something you may discover about useless tests is that they can turn out be home brewed versions of the exact same tests used by OEM manufacturers. They told me that, but you may have better information.

im gonna piss on your parade some more, fatmat *****...the longest it ever stuck to my car for about 28 days...3 layers of it just came off one at a time...i tried several different methods of applying, i tried to stick it out since i bought so much of it, but nothing would keep it on...no thanks...but good luck, many claim to have success...
It isn't you. One thing I've learned from a few years of looking at these products is that user error has very little to do with successful installation - it's just a phrase used by sellers to blow off complaints.

Asphalt is very prone to failure. It is also a very poor sound deadener. You're lucky it fell off instead of melting. Asphalt products like Peel & Seal, FatMat, B-Quiet Extreme, Sound Destroyer, R-Blox, etc aren't even good values because their performance is so poor. Just buy less of a decent butyl product and you will be ahead of the game. With asphalt you are in a race to failure as soon as you install it. Will all of the toxic VOCs outgas before the rubber stabilizers fail or not? If they do, you are left with inert crud that does even less good than when it was fresh. If they don't, it falls off or melts when the heat tolerance drops enough. Not worth the risk.

edeads not great
true that.

Yeah I've heard better about Fat Mat then eDead. I have never worked with eDead though
That's odd. Old eDead was and current FatMat is indistinguishable from Peel & Seal. New eDead has switched to a butyl adhesive, but they dropped the aluminum foil facing for the cheaper and virtually worthless Mylar it has now. Aluminum foil is important! - the thicker the better. Be especially careful about eDead v1². People have been having problems with it falling off - the first butyl mat to fail in use. Woot.

Don't be mislead by FatMat adding the word "butyl" to their Web site. They didn't add any to the product.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
I dont know about worthless test. here is some good info.
Thank you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

RAAMmat, Second Skin, Cascade, Dynamat Xtreme, B-Quiet Ultimate, Hushmat ... There are plenty of very good products available. Use them and stop wasting your time and money on garbage. Even if you save a few bucks at the start, you've lost your entire investment in time and money when it fails. If you are going to spend only $50 or $100, buy the good stuff and spread it out. You won't be sorry.

One last thing. Plenty of people have used asphalt mats and claimed success. How many of them do you think have used both butyl and asphalt products and can really compare them? We've all heard lots of people say they used asphalt before and used butyl this time and the difference was night and day. How many people have you heard say they have used both and think the asphalt is just as good as the butyl? Not many. Actually just one that I can think of and he couldn't provide any substantiation at all. Even the guy who runs ROE used to be a big promoter of using asphalt. He's changed his tune since it started melting out into the carpeting in his van.

Anything is better than nothing - add a little mass to your panels and you will hear a difference - as long as it stays stuck. Several people have e-mailed me saying that they used to be asphalt supporters, it had worked great for them and they had encouraged other people to use it and avoid being "ripped off" by the more expensive products. Maybe it lasted for one year or even two, but it failed the next summer. That's the way asphalt is. I'm not saying that 100% of asphalt installations fail, just that enough do to make it not worth the risk. Some people will tell you that the way to success is using a heat gun to install it. Exposure to heat is the enemy of asphalt. Using a heat gun to make it stick better will speed up its failure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.