Farad Capacitator

U remember off road the arcade game. It was like u were racing the baja off road race. They give u the notro boost. U kno kinda short and quick. THat is all they do.

it softens the blow of sudden, high-current draws from your car's electrical system, its like a buffer for your alternator.....but its a band-aid add-on and is no replacement for an upgraded electrical system(hi output alternator), but a cap and a hi-amp alternator is a very good thing....

Milenko515, you've struck a nerve. You see, noone can really tell you about these things, because frankly we don't know. They are somewhere between miracle alternator savior, and snake oil.

I have a capacitor, and the difference between having it installed, and having it NOT installed is close enough to nothing to make no difference.

I would recommend the big 3, if you think you need a capacitor. Check the wiring forum for insight on that. It's cheaper, and will have a much more noticable payoff. Things like brighter lights, less dimming, brighter dash, and possibly louder music.

When two conductors are placed near eachother, with an insulator, an effect called 'capacitance' is created. This capacitor (a piece of equipment with a certain degree of capacitance, measured in farads) will 'pass' AC signals (meaning you will read an AC voltage on it), and also blocks DC voltage (since the two conductors are seperated, they don't conduct electricity, and the DC voltage is blocked). However, they also have a unique ability to store a charge, and discharge it when needed. They're used in timing circuits, as well as crossovers, and high/low pass filters.

Why would you want (or need) one? Well, since it stores a charge, people use it to compensate for a poor electrical system in a car audio situation. If you play a deep bass note, your amp may use more current than your electrical system can provide, causing your lights to dim. A cap (or capacitor) will release whatever it can to make up for the lack of current, seemingly soliving problem. However, the capacitor also causes a load on the electrical sysem, which can be detrimental to the overall system. In this situation, there are better solutions, like the Big 3, or a high output alternator. These are true solutions, as opposed to the 'band-aid' remarks that you hear.

Does this mean they're useless? Not at all. Even in a performance audio situation, one may use a cap for power conditioning. Like I said before, it compensates for a loss of current. What if you crank on your AC? Well the cap would help keep the power to your amp consistant, incase the power will fluctuate. The real question is whether or not you need one... and the answer is almost certainly: not really.

Man i remember 10 years ago when people swore by them. If you ran over 1k watts and didn't have one people looked at you like you were riding 20's on a yugo.

using it to fight light dimming or for bass is using it as a bandaid.

They supposedly DO help most with transient responce (rapid changes in the music, highs, mids, AND lows)

using it to fight light dimming or for bass is using it as a bandaid.
They supposedly DO help most with transient responce (rapid changes in the music, highs, mids, AND lows)

Yah, I have a couple caps and I was going to use them to help with dynamics but I never installed it because I didn't have enough room. I doubt they would of made too much of a difference because small voltage drops doesn't lower the output of amps too much

Yah, I have a couple caps and I was going to use them to help with dynamics but I never installed it because I didn't have enough room. I doubt they would of made too much of a difference because small voltage drops doesn't lower the output of amps too much
What kind of caps were they?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ChuteBoxe515

10+ year member
The Man
ChuteBoxe515
IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date