Fan on amp comes on a lot

I've got a 2006 model Rockford Fosgate T10001bd amp powering two 2nd gen Alpine Type R 12s that are 500w rms 12s.

I'm running 4 gauge ofc Rockford Fosgate wire for the power wire and for the ground wire I have a 0 gauge ofc stinger wire.

I'm running a deka intimidator Agm battery and I have a 160amp alternator and I did the big 3 wiring upgrade with 4 gauge ofc Rockford Fosgate wire.

When it's hot outside around 75 or warmer and I pound the system at full tilt the fan on the amp comes on, is that normal?

I'm thinking it's coming on cause I'm getting the amp hot, I know I probly should be running 0 gauge for the power wire and I'm going to eventually get 0 gauge in there for the power wire.

The reason I have 4 gauge is cause I was told the amp I have wouldn't accept 0 gauge then I find out that's for the newer t1000's and that the older style will take 0 gauge.

So I bought 3 feet of 0 gauge and put that on the ground cause I know the ground is most important.

I figured the Agm battery and the big 3 upgrade would help make up for having the 4 gauge on the power wire but maybe that's not enough and I need to get 0 gauge in there asap.

I just don't want to hurt this amp and I notice the fan will come on pretty quickly when it's warmer outside and I'm pounding the subs at full tilt.

It's perfectly fine that the fan is coming on....

You did make a completely false statement that I feel the need to point out. The ground wire is no more important than the positive wire. It's a closed circuit.....

I've got a 2006 model Rockford Fosgate T10001bd amp powering two 2nd gen Alpine Type R 12s that are 500w rms 12s.I'm running 4 gauge ofc Rockford Fosgate wire for the power wire and for the ground wire I have a 0 gauge ofc stinger wire.

I'm running a deka intimidator Agm battery and I have a 160amp alternator and I did the big 3 wiring upgrade with 4 gauge ofc Rockford Fosgate wire.

When it's hot outside around 75 or warmer and I pound the system at full tilt the fan on the amp comes on, is that normal?

I'm thinking it's coming on cause I'm getting the amp hot, I know I probly should be running 0 gauge for the power wire and I'm going to eventually get 0 gauge in there for the power wire.

The reason I have 4 gauge is cause I was told the amp I have wouldn't accept 0 gauge then I find out that's for the newer t1000's and that the older style will take 0 gauge.

So I bought 3 feet of 0 gauge and put that on the ground cause I know the ground is most important.

I figured the Agm battery and the big 3 upgrade would help make up for having the 4 gauge on the power wire but maybe that's not enough and I need to get 0 gauge in there asap.

I just don't want to hurt this amp and I notice the fan will come on pretty quickly when it's warmer outside and I'm pounding the subs at full tilt.
No one caught this?

I would replace the entire 4 gauge you have, esp big 3 since vehicle isn't specified and most vehicle's battery/alt wiring is pretty small, with 1/0 all around. See if that makes a difference.

I agree tho about fans turning on. That's normal....they're doing their job. Never a good idea running 2 diff gauge wires to an amp. Always keep it the same.

No one caught this?
I would replace the entire 4 gauge you have, esp big 3 since vehicle isn't specified and most vehicle's battery/alt wiring is pretty small, with 1/0 all around. See if that makes a difference.

I agree tho about fans turning on. That's normal....they're doing their job. Never a good idea running 2 diff gauge wires to an amp. Always keep it the same.
Yeah I caught it but it's ok. It won't hurt anything.

No one caught this?

I caught it, and commented on it. I think 4 gauge is enough for 1k though. 10v times 150 amps is 1.5k.

I don't see an issue with it. He was just wrong about the ground wire being any more important than the positive wire.

Sorry about not sharing what vehicle, it's a 2001 Durango and the factory grounds and power cable from alternator to the fuse box under the hood was about 6-8 gauge.

The 4 gauge I put in place of the factory wiring was defenitley bigger.

I've heard the T1000 amps like to draw a lot of amperage, specially the mode I have, the (2006) model.

Like I said I would have ran 0 gauge and planned too but I was told the amp wouldn't accept O gauge that it would only accept 4 gauge, which is true on the newer t1000's but the one I have will accept 0 gauge.

So after finding that out is when I decided to get an Agm battery because I needed a new battery anyways, and while I was replacing the battery I upgraded the grounds and alternator power wire to 4 gauge ofc wire as well.

I will eventually get the 4 gauge power wire out and install 0 gauge when I get around to it.

I figured having the big 3 upgraded to ofc 4 gauge and having the Agm battery that it would help compensate for the 4 gauge power wire on the amp.

After installing the Agm and doing the big 3 I could tell a difference with the lights dimming at night and my battery gauge on the instrument cluster stays steadier then it did before doing the big 3 and the Agm battery.

I'm also running a 160 amp alternator which is the heaviest duty you can get as a stock replacement.

The fan running isn't really bothering me, I was just making sure it wasn't the 4 gauge power wire causing the anonto get warm and causing the fan to cycle on and off like it does.

But I have to imagine having a 160 amp alternator and an Agm battery and the big 3 upgrade with 4 gauge ofc wire that the amp can't be starved for power all that bad, isn't having an Agm battery basically like having one giant capicator on hand to feed the amp what it wants?

The fan running isn't really bothering me, I was just making sure it wasn't the 4 gauge power wire causing the anonto get warm and causing the fan to cycle on and off like it does.But I have to imagine having a 160 amp alternator and an Agm battery and the big 3 upgrade with 4 gauge ofc wire that the amp can't be starved for power all that bad, isn't having an Agm battery basically like having one giant capicator on hand to feed the amp what it wants?
my 4ga is 13 yrs old and i get 14.5v at amp drops to 13.6 when running, check your voltage at amp if stays over 13 u fine..

So what's the advantage to an Agm battery pertaining to systems?
They're an all-around better battery than a standard vented lead acid battery. The only downside is they are more expensive.

They do not charge/discharge as quickly as a capacitor and have waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more reserve.

That's the cliff notes. Caps and batteries are very different.

They're an all-around better battery than a standard vented lead acid battery. The only downside is they are more expensive.
They do not charge/discharge as quickly as a capacitor and have waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more reserve.

That's the cliff notes. Caps and batteries are very different.
So how does Agm batteries help with voltage drop?

Is it the extra amount of reserve they have?

And is there a way to measure how much amperage my Amp is pulling at full tilt?

I have a volt meter and a clamp meter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.